guitars

Closed Thread

guitars

Hi guys, i will be in hong kong for a while. I've researched around and found that tom lee music seems to be the most prominenet music store.
    I'm interested in buying a new electric guitar. Does anyone know if the prices here in HK are cheaper in comparison to those in australia?

Also I was wondering if anyone knows if Crafted in Japan Fenders are sold in hong kong? They seem to be a rarity in the western world...

Regards, Brian.

Hey mate,

Melbourn/ite/ian (you choose) living in HK here.

From what I have seen so far, the guitars in Hong Kong, specifically Tom Lee, are much cheaper than their counterparts in Australia.

For example, take an Ibanez IC700, which would retail at about $750-$1000 in places such as Allan's music back in Aus, will only cost you about $400 AUD in Tom Lee. Although granted that was back before the economy went to hell, but it's still relative.

As for Japanese made Fenders, I'm unsure to be honest. I doubt that Tom Lee would stock them, but you may find some 3rd party stores around Kowloon that'll stock them. I know one place in particular that stocks a lot of Japanese models, I'll post it when I find the address.

Hope that helps, good luck with the move.

You might get Taylor cheaper in USA but I've found the rest are generally cheaper in HK..especially Japanese made brands. If you are spending a fair sum, say $3K HK or more, try/make sure you get a hard case thown in. Go to the Tsim Sha Tsui or Wanchai branches of Tom Lee to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Groijoy:
    Hey mate,

Melbourn/ite/ian (you choose) living in HK here.

From what I have seen so far, the guitars in Hong Kong, specifically Tom Lee, are much cheaper than their counterparts in Australia.

For example, take an Ibanez IC700, which would retail at about $750-$1000 in places such as Allan's music back in Aus, will only cost you about $400 AUD in Tom Lee. Although granted that was back before the economy went to hell, but it's still relative.

As for Japanese made Fenders, I'm unsure to be honest. I doubt that Tom Lee would stock them, but you may find some 3rd party stores around Kowloon that'll stock them. I know one place in particular that stocks a lot of Japanese models, I'll post it when I find the address.

Hope that helps, good luck with the move.

Thanks for that, excited to see what i can find. Let me know about the address of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by sarawesi:
    You might get Taylor cheaper in USA but I've found the rest are generally cheaper in HK..especially Japanese made brands. If you are spending a fair sum, say $3K HK or more, try/make sure you get a hard case thown in. Go to the Tsim Sha Tsui or Wanchai branches of Tom Lee to choose.
    Thanks, I will take your advice