Like Tree31Likes

Healthiest bread options?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

...there is a website and ordering service called "EURO Goodies" EG Plus Ltd. they have lots of food products from germany, including bread.....

...there are also different kind of German breads in "Market Place" goldcoast supermarket, incl. Sunflower Bread, Rye Bread, Multi cereal bread, Pumpernickel and others.....

Last edited by shri; 20-10-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    i never see pumpernickle bread in HK... where do you get it?
    most Fusions have them and HKTV Mall has a bunch of the German brands, never had an issue with them

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Trying to find a good bread source with no added sugar or vegetable oil.

Any suggestions?
    . Suggest calling Bakehouse and Proof, possibly even Fineprint. Plumcot in Tai Hang is pretty artisan, worth a call too

I've just got into the habit of buying a sourdough loaf from any of a selection of bakeries every weekend, and slicing it through the week for toast...

.....good sourdough selection of breads from "Paperstone" breadshops

I see Sourdough breads in Marketplace but they don't have a nutrition label.

I'm guessing they have added sugar or use vegetable oil? No harm asking next time i'm there.

Edit: Hmmm...

"If you're talking about store bought sourdough, many of these breads are made with commercial yeast, with things like vinegar added to make them taste sour. They may very well contain added sugar, because they don't undergo a long, complex fermentation to develop flavor."

In the quest to eat a healthier diet, bread as a category is kind of a dead end - tiny gains in healthfulness will be eclipsed by disproportional decrease in tastiness. I would compare it to non-alcoholic beer . . . why bother.

emx and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    In the quest to eat a healthier diet, bread as a category is kind of a dead end - tiny gains in healthfulness will be eclipsed by disproportional decrease in tastiness. .
    The opposite is the case. "Garden" and all those brands are industrial breads. Mixed and baked. Bland taste, no structure. They are made from starter packs. Just add water and bake. But of course if that's what you like it's probably okay.

I prefer a good sourdough. The longer fermentation (I typically do 24 hours) breaks down the gluten and makes it much healthier (look up FODMAP) - and much tastier. For darker breads I don't use yeast, just flour, water, salt.

When I use yeast I do a pre-dough (aka poolish) first and than do the rest 12 hours later. For me a baguette will ferment at least 24 hours, but sometimes stays a few days in the fridge.

Nowadays you can buy pretty good baguettes, Eric Kayser has very good ones - but after you reach home they are just 'ok'. But I guess some like the "Garden" baguettes in a plastic more than Kayser (Deli France is eatable, but IMHO below par)

I don't know where the initial poster is living, but if in Saikung, and don't want to do the DIY route, Raymonds Deli has a good range of frozen breads, reasonably priced too.

Nowadays many places have good bread, but it will get expensive and getting it takes some energy too.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    In the quest to eat a healthier diet, bread as a category is kind of a dead end - tiny gains in healthfulness will be eclipsed by disproportional decrease in tastiness. I would compare it to non-alcoholic beer . . . why bother.
    I like the idea of sourdough, and have been making it at home. But agreed, it never occurred to me to consider it healthy. It's still... bread. A quickly-absorbed load of carbohydrates with a tiny amount of fibre and some trace minerals.

Perhaps there's more to it than that, and I'd welcome credible correction.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    I'm guessing they have added sugar or use vegetable oil? No harm asking next time i'm there.
    Doesn't wheat contain natural sugars and for bread to be leavened only a few grams of sugar are added to aid the fermentation process to get the C02 and ethanol.

Name:  9391130_orig.png
Views: 236
Size:  9.3 KB

A slice of bread probably has a few grams of sugar (about the same as natural yogurt). A glass of red wine has many many times more sugar probably 30 grams as does a glass of OJ.

Sugar in small amounts isn't that bad for you, but the disproportionate worry over certain foodstuffs probably is. Hope you don't eat natural yoghurt or drink wine....