Like Tree27Likes

Sourdough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    It does actually -or does it???

I have used this but not convinced. Don't see how real sourdough could come in a packet that only needs water and butter. Although standard yeast can come dried so maybe sourdough culture could to?
    Absolutely! The Lievito Madre from Bakeing Warehouse is a good example, you can just bake with it, or use it as a wheat sourdough kick starter. Making Lievito Madre DIY is tricky, rye is much simpler.

My rye starter is now 2.5 years old, but just for safety I dried some and keep it as backup in the fridge. This dried starter can keep forever and you can use it to kickstart in case something goes bad with the every day starter.

Not sure about the Tesco one though. It can have real sourdough in it, or just sourdough taste from dead sourdough. The recipe should tell, living sourdough would take a few hours longer. (btw bread usually does not contain butter)

https://www.bakingwarehouse.com/prod...d-mother-yeast

We make sourdough weekly. It's best to just ask around for starter. I keep it in the fridge and take it out the night before to feed. Depending on temps it's usually bubbly by morning.

Just out of the oven
    Name:  PXL_20211230_091656416.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  2.84 MB

I don't eat bread regularly. Although I like the idea to make my own sour dough bread, the thought of having to keep feeding it to keep it alive, just to make bread occasionally is not appealing, and too much work.

I made my own bread a few times, with regular yeast. but I made poolish the day before, and the result is not too bad, even though may not be up to bakery shop standard.

@rani your bread looks great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    I don't eat bread regularly. Although I like the idea to make my own sour dough bread, the thought of having to keep feeding it to keep it alive, just to make bread occasionally is not appealing, and too much work.

I made my own bread a few times, with regular yeast. but I made poolish the day before, and the result is not too bad, even though may not be up to bakery shop standard.

@rani your bread looks great!!!
    Thanks! I got tired of discarding and feeding the starter too! Then read that pros don't do this. They just keep a couple of tablespoons of starter in the fridge. Take it out for a feed night before and leave it a dark cupboard.
    rainylin likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2