Like Tree27Likes

Sourdough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sourdough

Is it possible to buy ready made sourdough in HK to bake bread at home?

Cheers

No, not as far as I know. The Baking Warehouse in Kwung Tong has dried Lievito Madre, that can do. But wheat sourdough is tricky to use.

DIY rye sourdough is very easy to make and takes just 4 days, check the link below. But be aware there are many different methods out there, and many bad or wrong ones.

Alternately join the Hong Kong Bread Bakers Facebook group and simply ask if somebody has some to share, mention your location. There are many that share. I have some in Saikung.

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-...rdough-starter

shri, Crankshaft and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Is it possible to buy ready made sourdough in HK to bake bread at home?

Cheers
    By "ready made sourdough" do you mean the starter culture (goopy bubbly bacteria and yeast in a jar) or some kind of pre-mixed bread ingredients?

Latter doesn't exist for sourdough, but the former you can make by yourself with a bit of time by just using the bacteria that falls out of the air. If you don't have the patience for it, you can usually find someone willing to give you some for free- mention your rough location.
    Crankshaft likes this.

You can set sourdough starter for the cost of postage.

Carl Griffith 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Page

jgl and Crankshaft like this.

Making sourdough starter will make your flat stink, so make the additions to it on days when you can open windows and there's a breeze.

Crankshaft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Making sourdough starter will make your flat stink, so make the additions to it on days when you can open windows and there's a breeze.
    It's a lovely smell!
    Elefant&Castle and Cwbguy like this.

It didn't for me... zero noticeable smell, either during the initial creation or the feedings at room temperatures prior usage. I just keep a breathable cloth over the jar, but that's standard practice to stop it from drying out.

Making sourdough starter will make your flat stink.
    What? Totally not. When you stick your nose into the jar you have a acetone (nail polish remover) smell, that you don't notice when 20cm away.

BTW the required bacteria come from the flour, not the air. So you don't want a flour that's 'dead'. Any rye flour will do (they give a stronger, more sour taste), for wheat better use wholewheat (Any bleached can't do, Beksul does not ferment well and can go bad). Wheat is less stable, goes bad fast, but gives a milder taste.

And remember, when you have sourdough you must bake at least every 2 weeks to keep the culture alive.
    SirNotAppearing likes this.

Thanks folks. Found a friend who will give me some of his starter. As you can tell I'm an absolute noob.

huja, jgl and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    By "ready made sourdough" do you mean the starter culture (goopy bubbly bacteria and yeast in a jar) or some kind of pre-mixed bread ingredients?

Latter doesn't exist for sourdough, .
    It does actually -or does it???

I have used this but not convinced. Don't see how real sourdough could come in a packet that only needs water and butter. Although standard yeast can come dried so maybe sourdough culture could to?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/285021389

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast