Like Tree5Likes

Help with Carousell

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you don't mind waiting, you can probably offer the seller HK$100 (45 + 40 postage + 15 "tip") to send it to you via HK Post surface mail (the only option currently available apart from courier due to the flight ban).

This is based on my assumption of it weighing 500g ish

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielFRA:
    I can see now that this is a legitimate post by a trusted seller. And I have to apologize to the OP for raising these unfounded suspicions. I hope you get the help here you've been looking for.
    Oh, don't worry about it! I would be just as suspicious if I were you haha.
    DanielFRA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    If you don't mind waiting, you can probably offer the seller HK$100 (45 + 40 postage + 15 "tip") to send it to you via HK Post surface mail (the only option currently available apart from courier due to the flight ban).

I might have to try that. Hopefully Google translate has improved since the last time I used it.

Oh... is that why my posts aren't showing? Made a couple on other threads that had urls and pics in them and they didn't make it...

You said reimbursement so that means you're looking for someone in HK willing to help by meeting up to take book/pay agreed price with seller first + ship book to you out of their own pocket first and you will wire them the total sum after you get the stuff? That's not impossible but a tough find esp now when shipping is so unpredictable.You're basically asking for someone to take all the risk you're unwilling to take even when it's a book you really want and then some...

No downside to tempting the seller directly. I bought some medicine from a carousell malaysia meetuponly buyer + language problems. I had to pay first of course, for intl shipping+x2 original asking price which I offered up first. Not sure why but he was v suspicious of my intentions...took a while and it worked out eventually.

But it's nice to know an online user here to you has more credibility than one at carousell... you know that makes no sense but it's still nice I guess... =P

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:

OP is overlooking the postal situation here, I haven't been but heard of super long/slow lines due to so many out sick. I certainly wouldn't go to the PO and stand in line for 30-60mins for $15, not even $150 if I were the seller.

If it's been up for a year might be gone as well, Carosell is notorious, in my exp, for not making things as sold.
    aw451 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    You said reimbursement so that means you're looking for someone in HK willing to help by meeting up to take book/pay agreed price with seller first + ship book to you out of their own pocket first and you will wire them the total sum after you get the stuff? That's not impossible but a tough find esp now when shipping is so unpredictable.You're basically asking for someone to take all the risk you're unwilling to take even when it's a book you really want and then some....
    I was mainly worried about language barriers, and that you can't use an American address with Carousell. I've only really used proxy services for overseas packages in the past, so I am very used to having a middleman for this kinda thing (if that makes any sense). I hope I didn't come off as rude with the way I phrased the 'reimbursement' thing. Wanted it to read that I would 100% cover any charge, plus however much extra for the help of whoever agreed to help me (kinda like a tip?).

I really have no idea how the Carousell works, honestly. Didn't even know it was a 'meetup' kind of app haha

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    OP is overlooking the postal situation here, I haven't been but heard of super long/slow lines due to so many out sick. I certainly wouldn't go to the PO and stand in line for 30-60mins for $15, not even $150 if I were the seller.
    Ahh, you're right. I hadn't thought about it like that..

Oh..no no I didn't think it was rude or anything of that sort at all.

I just thought it would be v hard to find someone willing to pay first for you. Even if you offer a big tip, it's still a leap of faith for this person or the original seller if you're asking them to ship first and wait for your payment. I had a full week of "omg wtf did I just do" self-reproach mode after I wired the $ to the seller, then the package arrived.

I haven't read this thread in detail, but I'll help you if it's less than $200 (meaning, I don't mind to pay this to help you get this)... I'm not so familiar with carousell so I'm not sure what you're having a problem with exactly...

-- Paying for it because you need to pay locally? --> Ok, I'll help you pay for it as it's just $45 if you can ask the seller to use local post (NOT SF Express) to send it to me or send directly to you (So agree to pay them maybe $150HKD)
    -- Getting it to you because it's international, but you can pay seller directly --> Ok, you ask seller to mail it to me and I will send it to you.

In Hong Kong, with purchases like this, we typically use a direct bank transfer payment (FPS).

If this is working, HK Post says approximately:

Surface Registered Mail (Packet) 44 - 67 $84.1

We're feeling pretty hopeless in Hong Kong so if I can make someone happy by getting some anime looking book to them -- fine. Or I'll tell you what, you can give that $20-25 to a local animal charity in your area.

PS -- most people speak English in Hong Kong so you can try messaging the seller directly.
    PSS -- not volunteering to physically go and get the book -- can only help from my home.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 20-03-2022 at 05:14 PM.
    CalypsoKitty likes this.

Currently talking with the seller, as some of you guys here advised me to. The seller has asked if we could start talking on WhatsApp, so I'm taking that as a sign that they might be willing to sell it to me directly. Still have to figure a few things out in chat, but I'm at least hopeful something will come out of it. :-)