Like Tree14Likes

Lidocaine 4-5% patch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lidocaine 4-5% patch?

My wife fell and got hurt in ribs and knees. We went to hospital and had x-rays done. Nothing broken but still lots of pain in her rib cage. They said it can take weeks to feel better. She got tramadol (opioid) but it knocks her out so she can only take it before bed. But almost two weeks later,it still hurts.

We got a different patch (Diclofenac) and it works ok, but not great. Looking online I see patches with 4-5% Lidocaine and it sounds like it works different and may be better. But NOBODY carries it. Tried afew manning and Watsons pharmacy and they don't have any at all and can't order it. Tried tons of street shop pharmacies all over town and no go. All I could find was a cream at 2%.

So if anyone has found this specifically, Id appreciate any leads. Thank you!

Tried searching the Drug database for alternatives or other products? A search for lidocaine shows 125 results... no clue what any of those results mean.. might be meaningful to you.

https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/do...database2.html

DannyJJ likes this.

Thanks. That's quite the database. There are a few other options available here. Like the Diclofenac we tried and places have emla(great for pre tattoos numbing).

But I'm interested in lidocaine for it's ability to ease nerve pain. We are trying small tube of it, but still want the convenience of the patch. Maybe it's just not a thing here in HK.

Voltaren (analgesic/anti-inflammatory) works well:

https://www.shunmingdispensary.com/inflammation

https://sailfish.com.hk/products/vol...ain-relief-50g

FYI I haven't used either of these sites as I brought mine from home.

DannyJJ likes this.

Thanks. But yeah that's the Diclofenac patch we used. It's ok, but not powerful enough. It is great for muscle issues I read and lidocaine is better for nerve endings. Very close in usage, kinda like Tylenol and ibuprofen, similar usage, different ways of doing it. ☺️

I broke a couple of ribs in a bike fall on ice in Japan (only found out I had broken them several years later when I had x-rays for something else and they asked me about this old injury). I didn't go to the doctor at all. It hurt- a lot- as in, every time I inhaled. But the pain is pretty deep, not sure a lidocaine patch will help, don't think it's going to get down near the ribs. I sympathize, it hurts a lot and, even if it's broken, there's not really anything you can do. At least the Tramadol will help with sleep at night, so it's something. Good luck!

DannyJJ likes this.

Thanks, and ouch. Yeah it's a tough one to deal with. Nothing on x-ray, but x-rays aren't perfect. Long painful situation I hear. I did do research, some studies are showing lidocaine can work on ribs to ease the pain. Plus you can see her ribs so it's not deep hidden like mine lol. But yeah, rib injuries are nasty.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Has she tried OTC drugs like Paracetamol and Ibuprofen? I broke a rib a while back and they took the edge off it. It's gonna hurt for a few weeks though, gotta take it easy.

Lidocaine

Lidocaine patches are unlikely to help and are potentially dangerous as you can get lidocaine toxicity from percutaneous absorption. Don't waste your money on NSAID gels e.g. diclofenac, either. Taking them orally is more effective. So paracetamol,+/- an oral NSAID (possibly with a PPI to protect the stomach) is your first line. Opioids are second. Tramadol is not a full opioid and may cause nausea. Temgesic or DF118 can be useful but these should only be used for a week or two

shri likes this.

Thanks. Yeah, as hospital normal they gave paracetamol, ibu with a ppi as well, and tramadol with an anti nausea liquid as well. Tram works, but knocks her out so only ibu or para during the day.

Thanks for the lido warning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast