Like Tree2Likes

Amazon shipping to Hong Kong while living at a hotel or Airbnb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanroad:
    If it's DHL, is there a way I can request to pick it up at their store/office?

Once you have the tracking number you can change the delivery address (on the DHL website) up to the point of delivery.

DHL is great - but expensive.

Might be a bit late to this thread.. but I have always had Amazon ship to hotels. It would be addressed as

Shri Simpson
    Guest c/o Hotel

And I would email the hotel and let them know that packages would be arriving and to hold them for pick up or to deliver to my room if I had checked in.

No clue how it would work with AirBnB in HK.

Sometimes the couriers will not accept instructions from the receiver with a tracking number as they don't know if you have stolen the number and trying to divert the package.

With SF, if the item goes out for delivery, you can see a secure number on their website to contact the delivery guy. This shows up as soon as the item is prepared or is loaded in the truck from the nearest delivery center. May be calling that number helps.

DHL is much better than SF in my experience (Amazon UK pretty much always uses DHL for delivery to HK). You get multiple email/SMS updates and various options for scheduling or rerouting delivery.
    newhkpr likes this.

Yes! 2-3 days before delivery you will get an email/SMS in which you can arrange “alternative delivery” or “delivery instructions” such as leaving it outside the door, with the guard, at a pickup point or at a different address even.
    shri likes this.

Isn't it cheaper to just buy electronics in a local HK shop than Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    With SF, if the item goes out for delivery, you can see a secure number on their website to contact the delivery guy. This shows up as soon as the item is prepared or is loaded in the truck from the nearest delivery center. May be calling that number helps.
    If SF is doing the last part of the delivery, once you get a tracking number, can you ask them to deliver to a locker instead?

If yes, how many days in advance (from the delivery) do you get this tracking number? Is this redirect request done by phone or is there a web portal?

Quote Originally Posted by Seaturtle:
    Isn't it cheaper to just buy electronics in a local HK shop than Amazon?
    I've found all electronics are cheaper in Hong Kong except laptops.

In the US, you can get a basic laptop from a known manufacturer for $250. In Hong Kong, for that price, you'd only get from unknown brands like Chuwi or Anita.

If you want a one from known manufacturer like ASUS or Acer, you're looking at $400 minimum. It's 50% more expensive in Hong Kong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2