Like Tree31Likes

Socks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

https://www.qnoop.com/

I ran into a pop up in Amsterdam a few years ago and got a few paris. Socks are good quality. the button and tie is a bit of a gimmick but addresses OPs questions.

I always check patents, there is always a patent (or an application, at least) for everything...

Name:  socks.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  309.3 KB

Elefant&Castle likes this.

Couldn't you just use a safety pin?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Couldn't you just use a safety pin?
    The time taken to safety pin would be longer than to match them

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The time taken to safety pin would be longer than to match them
    Depends how many pairs of socks are in the wash and how OCD the owner of said socks is 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinbiscuit:
    very "helpful" and "constructive" comments ...
    Marks and Spencer's sells toe-colored socks in sets like another user said (one per week). I find this makes matching super fast.

I put matching socks together when I hang them so they're ready to go. We hang our socks all together on one of those little hangers with lots of clips.

Never found sock matching problematic.

Best not to "find a spouse to do it" with a high level of self-incompetency. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry, got interrupted by my actual job.

Turns out it is quite possible to overthink this problem. Here is someone thinking WAY too much about these things and the resulting patent drawings:

Name:  more sock matching.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  202.2 KB

An organizing apparatus for sorting and mating members (1) of a plurality of members, the mated members forming a matched set. A preferred application is to sort socks (1). The invention comprises indicia (14) and electronic devices (3) preferably attached to each member (1) of the matched sets; a means to read said indicia (11) that may be human, or an electrically operated device (11); and a means to associate said read information with areas on a sock storage devices. Said association preferably includes the use of electrically operable indicator means (e.g. LED) attached to said sock storage device. The sock storage preferably may be temporary storage for the purpose of sorting/mating socks and/or for storage of socks for subsequent use. Means for automatically tracking the contents of luggage is disclosed.

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Sorry, got interrupted by my actual job.

Turns out it is quite possible to overthink this problem. Here is someone thinking WAY too much about these things and the resulting patent drawings:

Name:  more sock matching.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  202.2 KB

[FONT="]An organizing apparatus for sorting and mating members ([/FONT][FONT="]1[/FONT][FONT="]) of a plurality of members, the mated members forming a matched set. A preferred application is to sort [/FONT][FONT="]socks[/FONT][FONT="] ([/FONT][FONT="]1[/FONT][FONT="]). The invention comprises indicia ([/FONT][FONT="]14[/FONT][FONT="]) and electronic devices ([/FONT][FONT="]3[/FONT][FONT="]) preferably attached to each member ([/FONT][FONT="]1[/FONT][FONT="]) of the matched sets; a means to read said indicia ([/FONT][FONT="]11[/FONT][FONT="]) that may be human, or an electrically operated device ([/FONT][FONT="]11[/FONT][FONT="]); and a means to associate said read information with areas on a [/FONT][FONT="]sock[/FONT][FONT="] storage devices. Said association preferably includes the use of electrically operable indicator means (e.g. LED) attached to said [/FONT][FONT="]sock[/FONT][FONT="] storage device. The [/FONT][FONT="]sock[/FONT][FONT="] storage preferably may be temporary storage for the purpose of sorting/mating [/FONT][FONT="]socks[/FONT][FONT="] and/or for storage of [/FONT][FONT="]socks[/FONT] for subsequent use. Means for automatically tracking the contents of luggage is disclosed.
    Would be cheaper just to throw your socks away after each use
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Would be cheaper just to throw your socks away after each use
    So, in my family, my parents both worked full time, they taught us how to use the washing machine which is not hard. We each did our own wash, including my father. Thus, it was not exactly hard to match socks. Or, if you didn't care, like my older brothers, wear mis-matched socks or just any two clean socks they could find. We basically did our wash weekly, 7 pairs of socks, you figure it out...

Therefore, we didn't angst about sock-matching.

But, yeah, you sometimes get these kinds of inventions when you are a patent attorney, have to try to take them seriously. I try to tell people who want to get a patent that, unless they feel like they can realistically sell the patent to someone or develop the product themselves, probably not worth the effort (sometimes will do a search to show them similar patents and how they might not get very broad claims that will be marketable).

Don't even get me started on the mousetrap patents, there's a whole room of them-some, like this one, with many complex parts (proably scare the mouse away). It's kind of fun at times...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3