Where to get a good knife in HK????

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grammargirl:
    I'm in the camp that thinks people really need only three knives: a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated carving knife. No need for fancy sets.
    Flexible boning knife is also very useful if you deal with larger pieces of meat (I am think rack of lamb etc.).

If you want an add on to that get a mandoline as well, great for getting exactly even cut slices.

I would recommend Japanese as well, the expensive German ones require cleaning and polishing after every use. There are some good prices online if you search around for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HKonelegger:
    Flexible boning knife is also very useful if you deal with larger pieces of meat (I am think rack of lamb etc.).

If you want an add on to that get a mandoline as well, great for getting exactly even cut slices.

I would recommend Japanese as well, the expensive German ones require cleaning and polishing after every use. There are some good prices online if you search around for a bit.
    The expensive Japanese ones need cleaning and oiling after every use too! lol. High carbon steel will rust if it is not wiped dry after use, but it can take and hold an edge much better than cheap knives (440C steel).

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    The expensive Japanese ones need cleaning and oiling after every use too! lol. High carbon steel will rust if it is not wiped dry after use, but it can take and hold an edge much better than cheap knives (440C steel).
    I *love* my Global chef's knife & ceramic wet stone

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    I *love* my Global chef's knife & ceramic wet stone
    [pedant]I think you'll find that's a "whetstone".[/pedant]

Well I had a Global Chef's Knife that was brilliant. Great weight and very hard wearing. Didn't need excessive care and attention mainly because it was stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    [pedant]I think you'll find that's a "whetstone".[/pedant]
    Nope, I was actually refering to the ceramic stone I have in my bath

(phew, think I got away with it)

As well as a machete, pocket knife, Leatherman and bowie.

Hahaha, YES! Though I don't keep those in my kitchen.

SOGO - Wing On

Sogo and Wing On is a good place. They have cheap knives from $10 bucks to $10,000 dollars knives wrapped in special material to stop the knife from getting scratch before you buy it wrapped in thick expenisve wood box.

Quote Originally Posted by Statuecollector:
    Sogo and Wing On is a good place. They have cheap knives from $10 bucks to $10,000 dollars knives wrapped in special material to stop the knife from getting scratch before you buy it wrapped in thick expenisve wood box.
    I'm looking for Shigefusa kitchen knives and Hattori KD series.. any idea whereabouts in HK can find these? Alternatively a source in Japan directly would be great!

Apparently Hattori's not well, so the KD series has become really hard to get.. and desperate to get some for my parent's wedding anniversary!

m/thanks

Ilovekitchen, :::i love kitchen::: in Cwb is offering Sai, :::i love kitchen:::, handmade knives with 30% discount at the moment.

I bought the 10 inch chef knife for just over $1000, good value and a lot cheaper, and I think a nicer feel, than the Henkels in Sogo.