Christmas present for hubbie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas present for hubbie?

My husband is very difficult to shop for and it looks like my original intention of getting him a Wii is out the window. (can't find stock- unless anyone has any leads?) I'd love to know what other women are getting their partners or to hear from men what presents they've most appreciated in the past from loved ones.

Clothes are not an option. (we rarely agree on what looks good) Am thinking maybe tickets to Top Gear when it comes to HK but would prefer to get something he can keep. Looking to spend up to $3k.

Please help!

I share your difficulty and this year have decided on (don't laugh) an ice-ax and crampons.... I do at least know this is what he wants!

I have the top gear tickets purchased for his birthday, since that's actually the day they are here so it makes more sense that way!

Normally hubby hates what I buy, but last year I scored a success with a new mobile phone for xmas and a new mac pc for his birthday (that was abit pricey though, but he needed a new pc for his self-employed work so it was worth it).

Like you, clothes fall flat every time so I have given up!

I quite like executive luggage type gifts - a nice travel wallet, briefcase etc, they've gone down ok in the past - the sort of think you tend not to spend your own money on because there are cheaper option that "are ok" but the expensive ones make better gifts!

Other gifts that have worked in the past included nice cufflinks (but only works if he wears that type of shirt); a hiking watch with altimeter (which he still uses 10 years on, so that really was a good idea); a watch (better for birthdays though)...

Finally, one other option which can also be great fun for Christmas is a collection of little things, all wrapped up etc, so it's like a "lucky dip" - especially if it is little things with some meaning or fun stuff, like, his favourite food that's hard to get in HK, or a book or a CD etc ... my sister did this last year at Christmas and it was really good. She purchased and wrapped up (for hubby and I together) a box of food items like Bisto gravy and stuffing mix and stuff, because she knows that I don't cook enough and that hubby loves a beef roast .... so opening this in front of the family was absolutely hilarious (it had the added bonus of being really cheap for my bankrupt sister, who says you need to spend a fortune to give good gifts?).

Last edited by MovingIn07; 22-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.

There shouldn't be stock issues of the wii

Which stores are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal
    My husband is very difficult to shop for and it looks like my original intention of getting him a Wii is out the window. (can't find stock- unless anyone has any leads?) I'd love to know what other women are getting their partners or to hear from men what presents they've most appreciated in the past from loved ones.

Clothes are not an option. (we rarely agree on what looks good) Am thinking maybe tickets to Top Gear when it comes to HK but would prefer to get something he can keep. Looking to spend up to $3k.

Please help!
    Anything electrical will generally bring a smile to my face. As would nice booze (as I'm reluctant to spend a lot on a bottle myself - but appreciate the pricier stuff). Radio controlled stuff is fun. erm, that's about all I can think of.

Limepickle, thanks for reminding me, don't know how I could have forgotten since he always talks about them - he's really dying to get himself a remote control car. I think I put it out of my mind because I wouldn't know where to start. He's mentioned petrol ones in the past. Any ideas on where I could get him one, what to look for etc?

Jim, I went to 188 Wanchai Road and for some reason I couldn't find any Wiis. It was only midday however and most shops were shut(?) I have to also preface this by saying I am quite pregnant now and have completely lost my mind (no really) so maybe they were there and i didn't see them. I am very intimidated in these sorts of places. Would rather go to Fortress and pay extra for a computer than have to stand there looking like an idiot when they ask me questions etc. Someone else here was kind enough to give me the phone number of a place they bought one from in Mong Kok but when I called they said they have no stock.

Moving, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, though my husband wears cufflinks to work every day buying him them in the past has not worked out... He's also not the type to spend money on himself, pretty much at all so I've got to really make the gift count. Watch is out as he has an expensive one he 'rewarded' himself a few years back and only yesterday he commented he was thinking of giving it to his father as he didn't like what it represented anymore! (money basically! Lots of his friends have been fired recently).. Sport he has covered.

But back to the remote control car...

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal
    But back to the remote control car...
    Aussiegal, apologies for the vagueness. Theres a public hospital in Mong kok/Prince Edward near the ladies market nearby there are a whole bunch of hobby shops (look for the places selling BB guns). I kinda stumbled on them by mistake so cant tell you the name of the roads Im afraid but there was pretty much a whole street of places selling radio controlled stuff.

I hope my wife reads this thread and remembers for next year!

EDIT

Found this old post ...

Thanks guys. Found a few shops in Mong Kok around Peace Avenue and Kwong Wah Street. The shop owners were more than helpful, one guy actually walking me from his shop to point me in the direction of another shop that dealt with planes.

Ended up with a helicopter - the guy in the store assuring me that if I was able to get the plane flying I wouldn't be able to land it. All good fun - I think this could be the start of a new hobby.

On a more worrying note - there were a lot of replica gun shops in the area with some very large and realistic looking firearms. I wonder who they cater to.
    Last edited by limepickle; 22-12-2008 at 11:41 AM.

If hubby really enjoys his music, maybe get him a compact integrated valve tube amplifier, and a pair of small bookshelf speakers, to compliment. He can then hook his laptop, ipod or CD player to it, and enjoy not only amazing high fidelity sound quality, but also as a very visually pleasing piece of kit, which appeals to us men . I have listed DAREDS VP-16 valve tube amp, which is very popular globally among budget valve tube amp enthusiasts, and I believe the warm nature of the Polk Audio ( American ) TSi100 high performance bookshelf speakers, would match the amp very well, while keeping size to a minimum, without compromising sonic quality. Perfect as a static feature in his den, especially the warm glow of the valve tubes, while running.

The Amplifier should be in the $2000 - $2400 RRP price range, and the speakers shouldn't cost more than $1500 a pair.

I have listed DAREDS website, who can offer a local dealer in HK, and Polks ( HK ) email address, provided below, if you feel that hubby would really go for this idea. Anyway, its a lot of kit that fits the budget.

Also don't forget to get a 3.5mm stereo phones lead to 2 RCA's, so he can hook his laptop/ipod headphone output to the RCA inputs on the back of the amp, and a couple of metres of speaker wire, to connect the speakers to the amp, if you do go down this route.

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-12-2008 at 12:14 PM.

HMV in Elements mall has 2 wiis left. I can grab one if you decide to stick with your original idea

Thanks Limepickle. I read your post and gave HMV causeway bay a call. (they are closer to me). They have a few in stock so now have to decide between the wii (which i would secretly like too and the remote control car....

OK - I gotta ask, WHAT IS a wii?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast