Depressing Sizes

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Depressing Sizes

I was really shocked and very depressed when I saw a display sign converting a designer's size to US size, and the largest size they had was XL = US Size 8!!!

I mean I knew that I wasn't a skinny beanpole, and being Asian, that's pressure enough as it is, but since when did size 8 become XL? or am I just in deep denial about my Fat self? I guess I have to sew myself a tent or a table cloth now to hide my obese self!

can you sew one for me too

Depends of course on where you're going.

Here I'm either a L or XL when back in the u.k I'm a Medium.
    Western brands such as Zara, Mango, H&M etc should have a lot more choices etc.

Yap

I agree, don't be hard on yourself.

In the UK, I'm a size 8 or 10,
    but here in HK or singapore it's like medium or large.
    I like it when I am shopping in the UK

The people here are too skinny!

FYI: HK people are larger than Thai or Japanese, so the sizes in those countries are even smaller. Asian women sometimes buy children sized clothes in the US.

Isn't it a great opportunity to work on yourself and loose some weight???

Don't think HK people are skinny. just think some westerners (I am from europe) have lost sense of what a balance diet is....

I think it rather depends on height and bone structure too ... someone tall is never going to be tiny but if you are really short then to stay in proportion then yes, should be smaller. I think Asians have a different body structure - i see them eat heaps of fattening food and stay tiny so it cannot all be diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

Don't think HK people are skinny. just think some westerners (I am from europe) have lost sense of what a balance diet is....
    While I agree with you in some cases Mat (he says being overweight myself) it is not only about being a bit plump but also just the body size, i.e. the skeleton before the weight goes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

hmmm, i see where you coming from but i think that there are a large (excuse the pun) amount of people here who are unhealthily skinny - ie minimal bearing on non-existing muscle mass and a similar amount of body fat equalling a skelatal look - not attractive! there are both men and women in my office who look like this..

as for clothes, as jimbo and others have said it varies so much from shop to shop - i tend to shop in the same places so now know what size i am each, (saves trying things on!).

ps - agreed with your first point..

Yes indeed u are right. The Thais are very slim build...how envious!!!
    Actually I think, the Hkers are more proportional.

Also is true that some are too skinny. There are so many girls who keeps going on a diet..it all depends on your BMI, most asian girls are underweight.

As long as you are healthy, who cares what your size is

Last edited by mytimeoff; 06-01-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast