About price of German white wine

Closed Thread

About price of German white wine

Hi folks,

Just got a bottle of German white wine (Deutsche weiBwein)

Winery: S.A. Prüm
    Varietal: Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese
    Region: Mosel-saar-ruwer, Germnay
    Vintage: 2003

at HKD270. Is this a good price here?

B.Regards
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis:
    Hi folks,

Just got a bottle of German white wine (Deutsche weiBwein)

Winery: S.A. Prüm
    Varietal: Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese
    Region: Mosel-saar-ruwer, Germnay
    Vintage: 2003

at HKD270. Is this a good price here?

B.Regards
    satimis
    I guess it's ok, even in Europe Riesling wine are not cheap.
    The cheapest for 2003 Riesling are 10euros.
    In HK this wine is hard to find. (I just checked for the year, 2003 is a pretty good one for french Riesling, they is no reason to be different for german ones)
    Where did you buy it? I love Riesling
    Last edited by louloute; 14-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

It is unwise to compare prices after you have bought the hooch.
    If you managed to to get a good price, you will regret not having bought more.
    If you paid too much, then you will regret not shopping around.
    Either way you will not enjoy your tipple.

Quote Originally Posted by louloute:
    I guess it's ok, even in Europe Riesling wine are not cheap.
    The cheapest for 2003 Riesling are 10euros.
    In HK this wine is hard to find. (I just checked for the year, 2003 is a pretty good one for french Riesling, they is no reason to be different for german ones)
    Where did you buy it? I love Riesling
    Hi louloute,

Thanks for your advice.

I have been googling a while before posting. I found this wine offered in Germany. Because it is Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese the price being a little bid higher. If Riesling Spatlese the price is cheaper.

I bought it in Ponti Wine Cellar. I can't find other cellars in Hong Kong offering "Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese".

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    It is unwise to compare prices after you have bought the hooch.
    If you managed to to get a good price, you will regret not having bought more.
    If you paid too much, then you will regret not shopping around.
    Either way you will not enjoy your tipple.
    Hi kombuchakid,

I never tried "Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese" wine before. So I purchased a bottle to taste it. It was NOT sold under discount. If I like its taste I'll shop the wine around outside Hong Kong to compare the price. If the price sold in Hong Kong is good and there is not much difference in price I'll purchase this wine locally. Unless its local price is 2/3 times as much as that offered in Europe then I'll get this wine from Europe. I'm NOT interested getting this wine from USA because there is no price advantage.

B.R.
    satimis

As a lover of German wines I find it hard to admit that New World Rieslings are just as good and much more price competitive. However as you probably understand they are rarely available Auslese or Spatlese.

At that price ( 2003 was OK but not as good an investment as 05 ) drink slowly and enjoy those vine flavors with depth and luscious sweetness. Ask not what you would pay but what your pleasure centre desires.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    As a lover of German wines I find it hard to admit that New World Rieslings are just as good and much more price competitive. However as you probably understand they are rarely available Auslese or Spatlese.
    Hi Boris,

What is the difference on taste between Auslese and Spatlese. The former is made on selected harvest grapes and is sold on higher price.

At that price ( 2003 was OK but not as good an investment as 05 )
    I'll try to get a 05 bottle to be tasted later but not in this cold weather.

drink slowly and enjoy those vine flavors with depth and luscious sweetness.
    Thanks for your advice.

Ask not what you would pay but what your pleasure centre desires.
    Sure I'm willing to pay higher price for good wine, but not paying double here if I can source the same wine from other place.

B.R.
    satimis

Best described from foodandwine.net ( its late and can't be bothered to write out longhand from memory).

There are three basic grades of wine, which in ascending order of quality are: tafelwein or table wine; the tersely named Qualitatswein bestimmten Anbaugebeit, and Qualitatswein mit Pradikat. These last two are thankfully often abbreviated to QbA and QmP. The major distinction of the QmP wines is that there cannot be any addition of sugar to the must; so whatever the final alcoholic level produced it has to be from the naturally occurring grape sugars.

'Kabinett' is common enough and is taken seriously by the German producers. Essentially it means wine that has come from specific barrels that the producer believes are his best, and is a fair guide to quality. 'Spatlese' means that the grapes were harvested late, which means that they produce less wine, but have a higher sugar content. 'Auslese' means that the wine was made from selected bunches of grapes - only the most ripe are used - and again it's a measure of quality. More expensive again are the 'Beerenauslesen', which are wines made from individually selected grapes from the selected bunches.

At the top end of the German wines is the 'trockenbeerenauslese', wine which is made from selected grapes that are allowed to shrivel on the vine, thus increasing their sugar content. This wine is the German equivalent to Sauternes, and like Eiswein - wine made from grapes that are picked and pressed when frozen - is a dessert wine.

I was taught how to appreciate these wines at tastings when they are appreciated at room temp. In that way you can find ALL the flavours rather than having them masked when chilled. ENJOY !

Hi Boris,

Thanks for your detail information.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris;305531):
    - snip -
    Qualitatswein bestimmten Anbaugebeit
    - snip -
    Whether it refers to;
    Qualitätswein bestimmter Anbaugebiete
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestimmtes_Anbaugebiet

English version (translated)
    http://translate.google.com.hk/trans...%3Den%26sa%3DG

"bestimmter Anbaugebiete"
    Is it pronounced as;
    be-stim-ter aun-bau-ge-bi-ter

- snip -
    At the top end of the German wines is the 'trockenbeerenauslese',
    - snip -
    I got it. Thanks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trockenbeerenauslese

Is it pronounced as;
    tro·ken·bee·ren·aus·le·se
    ???

Do you have any comment on;
    2007 Gunderloch Riesling Spätlese Diva

It is also Pradikatwein.

Thanks

B.Regards
    satimis

Contrary to what you might think I am no wine buff.

I know what I like and I have been taught well how to find what suits me. It is not possible for me to comment on a particular wine.

My advise is go to the local office of the company that taught me " 10 people can taste a wine and only 4 may find it pleasant. There is no such thing as a good or bad wine, only what you personally find that suits you "

Berry Bros and Rudd ( Wine merchants to The UK Royal family for 300 years ) . They are on 43rd floor of the China Resource Building in Wanchai. The company is NOT pretentious or elitist and I could not recommend them highly enough. They stock limited ranges of drink now and do investment wine business that can be stored by them.