WINE!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WINE!!

Ok so I am moving to HK in 6months and hear that a glass of wine out could be $25-40HK!!

So, having the highest priorities I ask you:

Can you buy bottles of wine at a liquor store/supermarket/dodgy black market den for ok prices or is it worse than i thought?

And if wine is a total luxury item there what about ok local beer? is it cheap?!

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlie:
    Ok so I am moving to HK in 6months and hear that a glass of wine out could be $25-40HK!!

So, having the highest priorities I ask you:

Can you buy bottles of wine at a liquor store/supermarket/dodgy black market den for ok prices or is it worse than i thought?

And if wine is a total luxury item there what about ok local beer? is it cheap?!

Please help!
    and if you would like a glass of wine that actually tastes reasonable you will be at least doubling that price...

pretty decent wine can be bought at supermarkets at reasonable prices and beer is cheap at supermarkets - but not in bars...

a beer in a bar in lan kwai fong - $50+...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In the budget last year, the duties on wine, beer and all other alcoholic beverages except spirits were exempted.

FYI, a bottle of Chinese "wine" can be had for $10.90 (from the supermarket website). Is that in your price range?

Many bars think nothing of flogging a $100 bottle of wine at $60 per glass. That's not limited to HK, mind. I also get the impression that most bars buy wine based solely on its price, and not on its quality. I wonder if they actually try any of their wines before buying them?

If you want good wine, you can find it in upscale establishments, but you'll pay for it.

Local beer? The only beer that's brewed here is San Mig (gross), and the HK SAR Brewing Company's stuff, which is limited to nasty imitations of British, Irish and continental brews.

Perhaps the likes of Kingsway could be classed as local beers? Bleh!

If price is the only concern, then you can drink cheap slop for sure.

Last edited by Sigga; 23-01-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Because.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlie:
    I'm curious where you live that drinkable wine is sold in bars for less than US$3/glass.

supermarkets are the way to go

I've had pretty drinkable stuff for HK$26 a bottle on special

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

all set for the new year

I have been getting minions to lug in the 3 litre flagons of Carlo Rossi red @$85, not only to have passable hooch for oxy celebrations, but to brew kombucha in.
    =
    Chinese wine is a misnomer-most of it is akin to moonshine-anyone had the ´narangi´ in Bombay? Its pretty much that.

=
    I outdid myself today by spotting Hong Kong Beer in the special bin at $2 a bottle and promptly picked up 30 bottles-good thing a willing minion was at hand.

It seems that we have different understandings of the word "drinkable".

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It seems that we have different understandings of the word "drinkable".
    Is that directed at me? If so, I'll happily supply you with a drinkable bottle for under 30 bucks.

I've spent over HK$300 on some right old rot here. Admittedly I've also spent HK$30 on some grim ones too. But there are some gems to be discovered.

Trust me, I've consumed a lot of wine in my time.

I'd like to know where KK gets all his minions from! Do you have a secret underground lair full of Oompa-Loompas toiling away? Do you breed them?

Price doesn't always correlate with quality - one of the nicest wines I ever had was under five pounds. Now if I could just remember what it was called... I wouldn't stoop to drinking Hong Kong Beer, though, not even for a "negative price".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast