prom dress...tailor/ buy?!

Closed Thread

Question prom dress...tailor/ buy?!

hey all! need to buy a prom dress fr my daughter...or get one tailored...any reccomendations? not really looking for brand names/ very expensive stuff.
    thanks

What's your budget, roughly?

Well, since the OP said he's not looking for expansive stuff, then I would just recommend that he buys off the rack dresses.

Generally speaking, until you hit a certain threshold, off the rack will always beat tailored. Let us know your budget, and perhaps I can recommend a few brands. Also, is this her senior prom? If so, I really don't suggest that you cheap out of it, as it's a once in a life time thing.

Just discovered a shop on Hollywood this weekend, right off the escalators (diagonally facing the escalators) which had some really nice stuff. I think it is an outlet of sorts as they have high end brands (Cacharel, Pucci) with the tags cut, mainly American sizes 2-8(European 36-42). Don't remember the name unfortunately...

well, is H.K $ 1500 as a budget too stingy?! i have no idea! shall explore the Hollywood st possibility, thanks! and yes, its senior prom.

Heard there's a store in Pedder Bldg (Shanghai Tang) on the 4/F that has reasonable dresses. Haven't been yet, but know of a couple of friends who got dresses over Xmas from there. They spent less than $1000 Good luck!

zara's really cheap atm. I got my prom dress for just less that HK$400. Another option, if you're riding with the financial tsunami and would like to save every cent is, get it tailor made in ShenZhen. unbeatable price! handicraft though... i'm not too sure. But why spend so much on one night?!?

i got mine for $500, it was a big poofy one so i looked like a cupcake. >_> lots of material made from scratch.

i got it done by a woman in TST, her name slips my mind at the moment. she does all the dresses for most of the ESF schools, she's fantastic - speaks 4 languages too XD she can have it done within about a week, you go in 3 times - one to tell her the design, another to do the fitting and the third to do one more fitting and take it home.

i will get back to you with the address and number if you're still interested!!

Last edited by muddykins; 07-02-2009 at 03:20 AM.

thanks all ,for the various bits of info! and yes, i wld love to have the contact of the lady in TST,muddykins! she sounds great ..i will let people know what we end up with and from where!

I got my prom dress made at the shop in TST two years ago. It's located in a mall called Beverly Plaza. I think it's the 2nd/3rd floor and the lady is called Yvonne. She speaks fluent English and charges $500 a dress. I personally didn't like the fabric/quality too much but I suppose it was alright for the price.

Make sure that when she asks you when you want it, tell her around a week beforehand. (e.g. if you want it on 17 Feb, say 10 Feb). That way you'll be sure of getting on time. Not that it's much of a problem though. She managed to get my friend's dress made in 3 days!