Standard of customer service?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    lets vote with our feet and with our wallets people!

although, i prefer shops where the assistants ignore you rather than try and hard sell you. i mean, its easier to get a shop assistants attention when you want to ask for their help (as this makes it look like you are going to buy) than to run away from a persistant sales following you and trying to get you to buy something you dont want.
    Exactly. I was in Broadway today looking at TVs. A guy came up immediately and asked if I wanted help. I politely declined. So far, so good. But then he proceeded to follow me around the shop, always within two feet of me. It got quite unnerving. I tried walking really fast around a row, but he just followed. In the end I left without buying anything.

I can't stand being shadowed. This is why I often put off shopping for certain items, or try to do it online (difficult in HK).

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Exactly. I was in Broadway today looking at TVs. A guy came up immediately and asked if I wanted help. I politely declined. So far, so good. But then he proceeded to follow me around the shop, always within two feet of me. It got quite unnerving. I tried walking really fast around a row, but he just followed. In the end I left without buying anything.

I can't stand being shadowed. This is why I often put off shopping for certain items, or try to do it online (difficult in HK).
    Does anyone know why sales clerks here insist on using this "shadowing" technique? I was in sales for 5 years (mind you not retail) and I've always despised this approach. It seems to be overwhelmingly common here in Hong Kong, especially at electronics and clothing stores (from my experience). Does this strategy work with locals or do these types of sales reps target expats? I don't understand how anybody (local or not) is not turned off by this. I just find it comical now.

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe21:
    Does anyone know why sales clerks here insist on using this "shadowing" technique?
    I don't think it's shadowing per se, they just want to be as close to you as possible so that when you do purchase something, they can claim that they helped you pick it out, as they make sales commision on it. I have had sales persons yank stuff out of my hands so they could scribble their initials on it.

A technique I have developed, not nice, I know, is to clutch my bag closer to my body as if I'm afraid they're going to pickpocket my bag and give them paranoid looks....

In the UK this kind of behaviour means they think you are going to shop-lift. Perhaps somebody could let these assistants know this so that they understand quite why we find it so offputting!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    In the UK this kind of behaviour means they think you are going to shop-lift. Perhaps somebody could let these assistants know this so that they understand quite why we find it so offputting!
    I've tried this once... they didn't really get it and thought I was some kind of weirdo, so I've not bothered again.

However, if you tell 'em that you don't need any help, they do sometimes take the hint and leave you alone.

It was a chained store clothing shop in Tuen Mun.

Hong Kong people HATE MAINDLANDERS BELIEVE ME. Even sales hate them, but they do not act it in front of them because they spend like theres no tomrrow and the sales get comission. HK PEOPLE HATE MAINDLAND PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe21:
    Does anyone know why sales clerks here insist on using this "shadowing" technique? I was in sales for 5 years (mind you not retail) and I've always despised this approach. It seems to be overwhelmingly common here in Hong Kong, especially at electronics and clothing stores (from my experience). Does this strategy work with locals or do these types of sales reps target expats? I don't understand how anybody (local or not) is not turned off by this. I just find it comical now.
    We are use to it, so we just block them out of our mind and ignore they exist... you will get use to it soon and you can then just block them out

Quote Originally Posted by Statuecollector:
    We are use to it, so we just block them out of our mind and ignore they exist... you will get use to it soon and you can then just block them out
    its the same with those giving out leaflets or those persistent people doing "surveys" on the street.

I used to feel really harsh ignoring them because i know they are just doing their job and trying to earn a living...

... but you have to do it to survive!

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    its the same with those giving out leaflets or those persistent people doing "surveys" on the street.

I used to feel really harsh ignoring them because i know they are just doing their job and trying to earn a living...

... but you have to do it to survive!
    yes, exactly ... you cant blame them.