where to find furniture (non-tacky)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy where to find furniture (non-tacky)?

Apologies if I will insult the local culture here but... anyone knows where to buy reasonably simple stylish furniture, all I can find is just very, very tacky?

Best I have seen is G.O.D but also a bit pricey and, hmm, trendy.

/Ben
    Park Island, NT

I'm actually moving to HK from USA in three weeks. I have found a few places online that might help, but haven't been to any yet. Would like to know anyone elses thoughts.

Queen’s Road East – Central area I think. Know as ‘furniture street’

Horizon Plaza - Ap Lei Chow area

Lockhart Road – Wan Chai area

Shanghai Street – Mongkok area (places here that make mattress custom order for "reasonable price", or so I am told)

Jade Rattan Furniture - Shop A, G/F. & 1/F., 181 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong (open 9:45-10:00pm) http://www.jaderattan.com.hk/e/Default_home.asp

Canal Street (Wan Chai area) - Times Square(this is a mall) has two or three floors of furniture shops (I’m guessing it will be pricey)

Wing On Center - 110-114 CONNAUGHT ROAD CENTRAL SHEUNG WAN (this place has furniture & mattress)

Furniture is really personal, you gotta find something you woudn't mind using / facing every day, so its gotta be functional and pleasing to the eye and hopefully not break your bank account either.

Like almost everything else, HK offers a variety of choice for everyone (someone's gotta be buying that tacky stuff):
    Queen's Rd E is actually WanChai, and Lockhart Rd is more for hardware supplied and some furniture shops mixed in. I'm not sure you'd want to buy a mattress in MongKok when you can get a good simmons/sealy, etc where you know what's inside. WingOn is a dept store that used to have a furniture section upstairs (Day One?) but its since closed, and the furniture stores in Times Squre have also moved out, its all hi-fi and electronics in the upper floors now.

Other than high-end european imports or chinese antique replica's, there always Ikea of course.

I like the stuff from Muji

I think it looks pretty stylish.

Errrr.... IKEA?

I love IKEA!

.... they recently had a big sale... I don't know if it's still on though.

They're right in the middle of Causeway Bay, reallly easy to find... plus they deliver!

Thanks for the update to my list fly and sorry for giving out bad info Didn't mean to confuse. All of my research is from this and another (won't mention the name) forum and from the ever present google.
    For myself, IKEA is it. http://www.ikea.com.hk/main.html It seems reasonably priced, good selection and I won't feel like stangling my son when he spills something on any of it. But as fly said it's all about your taste and budget. I can't spend 2,000USD on a mattress as I want to retire sometime in this life.
    There is also a place in Ap Lei Chau called tequila kola that has a website so you can get a feel for what they offer. Looks like nice stuff but out of my budget. Happy hunting! www.tequilakola.com

It all depends if you are looking for cheap and good quality then find a local Chinese to help you out.

Ikea is more in the expat range if you have the salary.

Get your co-workers to help you out.

Tequila Koala is expensive.

If you like what they make, most Macau / China furniture shops can give you near dupes at 1/3 or 1/2 the price.

Shambala which is also in the Horizon Plaza has similar stuff to TK and is less expensive.

I wouldn't think that Ikea is "expat range", theres lots of locals shopping there, just check the crush every weekend. For basic items that you can find in the local household goods stores, they're priced about the same, and aren't usually as tacky. (OMG, can't believe I'm defending Ikea)

Quote Originally Posted by emperorau:
    It all depends if you are looking for cheap and good quality then find a local Chinese to help you out.

Ikea is more in the expat range if you have the salary.

Get your co-workers to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast