Which appliances should I bring from UK ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which appliances should I bring from UK ?

Well I am lucky in some respects - have got a generous shipping allowance in my relocation package - so would rather bring stuff over than buy new in HK. Especially my nice new rather lavishly purchased TV ! So which of the following will work in HK, based on UK 240 voltage etc:

- TV (handles both PAL and NTSC)
    - DVD (multi region disc player)
    - Video (PAL)
    - Kitchen things like Kettle, Toaster, Blender
    - Playstation 2
    - Sony Vaio PC and peripherals
    - Cordless Home Telephone Base Station and Handsets

I know some of this sounds a little basic, but just wanted to check before i have to budget for replacement cost.

Thanks,
    Graeme

HK has the same electrical power and TV system as UK so all of your applicances will work fine here.

And you can always sell the stuff that you don't want ... on the GeoExpat.Com classifieds.

Seriously though, everything would work just fine. Many people I know tend to upgrade their gadgets over their stay here in HK, specially right before moving back.

Move back !?! That's a concept I don't understand..

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Multisystem video bought in HK (first or second hand) would complement your TV better than the PAL-only video. You could still keep the latter as a second one if you think you might need it ,or sell it there now as a single-system video would ordinarily have minimal resale value in HK.

Everything in the UK will work here fine...

But, you may as well just sell your stuff and buy it back again here. The 2nd hand price of your electronics in the UK, on some place like eBay, will probably be the same price as the latest new versions here in Hong Kong. Plus you'll save the hassle of transporting them over.

The only electronics worth taking over, would be a laptop PC (if it's got important data, unless you want a newer, better, cheaper one here) and mobile phone (provided it's dualband - as phones actually cost a lot here, they're not subsidised by contract like in the UK).

I mean, one particular piece of AV electronics I had, I sold in the UK for a £300, and can buy back here for £120 new. I mean, that's profitting...

What's the TV situation in HK? (I'm coming at this from a UK perspective), so:

(1) Do you need to pay for a TV licence or any mandatory fees to watch terresterial TV?
    (2) Is everyone now watching digital free-to-air TV (i.e. no subscritpion, but digitial signals over the aerials with tens / hundreds of channels?) Thanks!

Everything will work here- but if you don't have a vacuum cleaner and plan to buy a Dyson then get one in UK, as its way marked up in HK- we brought ours for HK$5800- which is roughly around 480 quid- I think they were selling the same models in UK for around 300 pounds or less

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:

(1) Do you need to pay for a TV licence or any mandatory fees to watch terresterial TV?
    (2) Is everyone now watching digital free-to-air TV (i.e. no subscritpion, but digitial signals over the aerials with tens / hundreds of channels?) Thanks!
    1 no tv license. Two channels mostly in english, absolutly crap programming.

2 no most people start with now tv or icable (both awful) and migrate to "other ways" of watching tv shows as they figure out how to access. We have not cancelled our now tv entirely

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:

Do you get 100's of freeview channels in uk?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast