Facemasks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Facemasks

Hi,

Given this reason swine flu finding in HK I was considering purchasing a box of facemasks. However, I went to a few watsons and mannings stores but they were all out of stock.

Where could I go around the central/admiralty area to purchase some without paying over the top (I hear that some local pharmacies really put the prices up?)

Cheers

The guidance of the WHO is that if you are not sick then wearing a facemask is pointless.

If you are sick with flu-like symptoms then the government would like to turn yourself in at a hospital so that you can be imprisoned for a week.

i saw a woman today, all by herself waiting at a bus stop dutifully wearing her mask....under her nose! DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For the paranoid, I saw some on a newstand in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    For the paranoid
    [pedant]I think you mean "hypochondriac".[/pedant]

Fully in agreement with the statement from PDLM - no face mask if you are not already sick and people should start using their brain and think logical instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    For the paranoid, I saw some on a newstand in Central.
    If people want to wear them masks let them, whats the big deal. You never know whos got what. PDLM posted a link to the WHO and one of the points
    • avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and have fever and cough;
    , now this is very hard to do if your cramed in the MTR or Bus during rush hour, if that person is coughing and sneezing right next to you, dont you think you have a better chance if your wearing a mask. I just think it makes common sense. I personally dont wear it, if i did catch it, i would still walk around and try to infect as many people as well so that they can accompany me.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    if your cramed in the MTR or Bus during rush hour, if that person is coughing and sneezing right next to you, dont you think you have a better chance if your wearing a mask.
    Not substantially better, no. And certainly not if you don't replace that mask very regularly and scrub up well every time you handle the mask.

And frankly I'm happy to be exposed to it in the interests of further strengthening my immune system.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

When you breathe into a mask, the mask gets warm and moist; this creates the kind of environment that is favourable for virus proliferation.

Only N95 masks can prevent you from picking up viral particles (95% efficiency, change a newone every 8 hours). All other face masks won't. Those are only useful to prevent others to pick up your bug if you are sneezing & coughing. But I guess if all are wearing, hopefully it will be more hygenic? But I don't wear those masks as they are uncomfortable to breathe.....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast