URGENT How to recognize fake DVD's ???

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

does french dvd's have "pal" or " secam" ( not too sure if secam is used on dvd though, but video tapes do have this) on back of the cover and on the printed side of the dvd's

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Even fake DVD's have images on the actual disk. Some boxed series stuff that i bought in Louhu was copied very well, very hard to know if its fake or real so I wouldn't worry that much.

Its not like your taking 100's of dvds of the same movie, then you could get into trouble of shipping/distributing fake goods.
    recent china fake dvd's are very sophisicated ( borrowed from a friend) high bit rate 8mb per sec ( better than some hk distributor ORIGINAL dvd's, eg, Mei Ah/Universe licienced ver of western films) normally bit rate is a 3-4mb per sec, high quality factory printed glossy covers and disc, full menus and full DTS/DD coding , but they don't have IFPI engraving.

however, hk fakes due to government clampdown are still home copied and really bad quality.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    does french dvd's have "pal" or " secam" ( not too sure if secam is used on dvd though, but video tapes do have this) on back of the cover and on the printed side of the dvd's
    Some of my French DVDs are pal,some have no specifications, so I don't know if all dvds are pal.

Snarkey comment deleted...

Quote Originally Posted by louloute:
    Some of my French DVDs are pal,some have no specifications, so I don't know if all dvds are pal.
    DVDs are either PAL or NTSC, there are no SECAM DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by miyatasho:
    if the DVD says DVD 9 on it, is it a fake? and what does it mean?
    with the information given, you can not tell fake dvd if it says dvd 9, please give other information.

DVD 9 - just means that its a double section layer, single sided dvd which contains approx 9gb

Quote Originally Posted by miyatasho:
    if the DVD says DVD 9 on it, is it a fake? and what does it mean?
    DVD-9

There's no absolute way to tell fake DVDs. However HMV and Hong Kong Records only sell legitimate stock. What you have experienced is that many of their lines are what are known as "parallel imports" brought in by the shops from the UK, US etc, simply because those titles are not released locally. Copyright holders don't necessarily agree with this action since DVD rights are normally licensed by territory, but there's not much they can do about it since it's not strictly illegal, and there's nothing wrong with the actual DVDs. In fact if you stick with HMV or HK Records you can't go wrong, and you will find that almost all DVD players sold in HK (and many other places, including Singapore) actually do play DVDs from all regions.

Quote Originally Posted by jross:
    There's no absolute way to tell fake DVDs. .
    the ifpi engraving is never on fake dvd, but is visible on all original dvd regardless of location or region.

Are you all sure HMV don't sell fakes? I don't mean officially, but maybe someone working there has a sideline (similar to the way some aircrew have been known to sell fake perfumes on in flight duty free).

The reason I ask is that about a year ago I picked up one or two DVDs from HMV in central (and didn't keep the receipts, more fool me) that don't seem quite right. The box had a spelling mistake, the film didn't have any extras (usually you get commentary or something like that) and the clincher for me was that the subtitling on the film was wrong. Not badly wrong the way it is with pirated films, but definitely not right.