Running Shoes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running Shoes

I have a problem with the arches on my feet but also run frequently. As such I need to choose running shoes that particularly suit my feet. Having been to a few of shops in HK already the staff there know nothing about the running shoes and which ones offer the best arch support. I even went into the Adidas store in CWB and they told ne they were a fashion store not a sports store (has anyone told them about the sort of people who consider sports wear as fashion??). When I lived in the UK I used to go to a non-franchised sports shop who analysed my running technique and advised on the correct shoe. Can anyone tell me where I can find this in HK?

How about buying a pair of orthotics and you can insert them in any shoes. Dr Kong shoe stores sell orthotics.

Where can I find Doctor Kong stores on HK Island>

Dr Kong's site isn't in English anymore There is a store in CWB Windsor House.

I think going there personally is better.

they have a pc to check your foot and tailormade the shoes for you!

you will get no advice in a shoe store, as you discovered. best thing is to see a sports/running shop (do a search on here for the 10k runners store etc, there's a few threads on that, or "runners nation" or something similar.. some of us posted some links ages ago, do a search).

otherwise, do you know if you are an over pronator, or what gait you have? high or low arches? if you know this then you can buy shoes to suit. I personally use asics or mizuno, and find the websites to have a good run down of which shoes suit which feet. it's a rule of thumb, but it may be just what you need... put your foot in water, and then walk on a dry surface and see what shape your footprint is... a broad flat footprint generally means an over pronator/flat foot, (ie need a supporting shoe), and thin footprint means a high arch.. i'm not sure how inserts go for running, never used them and know nothing about them...

adidas makes a shoe that apparently corrects itself for your feet, it's called the a1 or somehting... it's very pricey but probably a safer bet if you have no idea... i haven't had any personal experience with them either...

DDF

I think they do gait analysis in the New Balance shop in Times Square (CWB), so I would imagine they should have something suitable for you too.

I got my running shoes in Athletics Nation in Mongkok are. They do gait anaysis and prodded my feet lots before recommending the right shoe for me. The guy who dealt with me also does a lot of running and seems to know what he is talking about.

Athletics Nation

Other shop I was recommended by runners in Hong Kong was '10k' somewhere between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay.

10K Running Pro Shop

Bot these shops have asics which is what I was after.

They're the stores I was referring to... Ta for the links again DomR... I had wondered where athletics nation had moved to (and forgotten the name)...

BTW, was it you that red blobbed me, then gave the details to both the stores i mentioned?

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 29-05-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast