Buying larger sized shoes

Closed Thread

Buying larger sized shoes

I read in a book that it can be hard to get hold of shoes in larger sizes i.e for women size 38+ and for men size 44+. Is this true, and if so would it be worth buying in Europe before we leave?

Thanks

i've never had a problem getting men's 46's here, at places like M & S, Jusco, SOGO, etc...but I think I'm near the extreme upper threshold of whats most commonly available...may be worth it if your bigger than that...

Sizes can often run smaller here, I'm roughly size 7/40 and I haven't had trouble but then I've only looked for casual footwear, think you might have more trouble with high heels/smart shoes more so.

I just bought a pair of birkenstock type sandals sized 39 which were actually from the Mens section...now in the UK you would never get mens shoes sized 6.5/39 !

Most stores don't seem to go higher than a 39 - I'm a size 40. You can get up to 41 I think at Zara and Massimo Dutti occasionally but that is about it. It is very annoying.

I buy my shoes online in the UK and have them sent out to me, have had to do that for years now, so suggest you stock up in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraF:
    Most stores don't seem to go higher than a 39 - I'm a size 40. You can get up to 41 I think at Zara and Massimo Dutti occasionally but that is about it. It is very annoying.

I buy my shoes online in the UK and have them sent out to me, have had to do that for years now, so suggest you stock up in Europe.
    May I ask what the websites are and rough costs of shipping? I want to buy some trainers !

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    May I ask what the websites are and rough costs of shipping? I want to buy some trainers !
    Hi, I use various websites - shoestudio.com, kurtgeiger.com. I forget the shipping costs. Also, some sites I use only ship within the UK so I have them delivered to my parents and they send them to me. If it is only trainers you are after, you may be able to get those here. I bought some asics recently in Hong Kong.

im size 44 and i find it easier to find shoes on ladies market (if you dont mind them being fake) because they cater to more tourists (westerners) who tend to be taller and have bigger feet than locals.

Hello - I for one highly recommend stocking up before you get here.

As someone mentioned above, you will generally get lucky with sports shoes, if you persevere, purely because of the volume of sports shoe stores in HK. We recently found my husband size 12 (continental size 43) sports shoes in Mong Kok, near the ladies markets, but were far less lucky with steel capped work boots.

I am size 9-10 (40-41) and if I am lucky enough to find a size that fits I rarely also get a price and style that 'fit' as well.

Something else to remember is that you can also get shoes made here. Apparently there is a plethora of shoe makers in Happy Valley but we have only been here 6 months and I haven't yet made the trip.