7-11 Coca-cola speakers are junk

Closed Thread

7-11 Coca-cola speakers are junk

Although probably sold out in most places, you can buy a pair of Coca-cola speakers for $29.90 after buying two 500mL bottles of coke at 7-11.

However, in my opinion they are junk. The speakers look like a can of coke that splits into two halves revealing the speakers on the inside of each half. However, the three wires aren't stored in the enclosure, you have to carry them separately. The 3 wires plug in the front of the speakers and look ugly. Strike one.

The three wires are for USB power, connecting the audio-in, and connecting the left speaker to the right. Now you can put batteries in both halves, but I only tested the USB power situation. In this case only the left speaker produces sound. As you may observe, there is no cable providing power to the right speaker from the left unless it's possible to use the left channel of the wire to carry power. Strike two.

I tested 2 sets so it's unlikely to be bad luck, and more likely bad design.

In the advertising they put a MP3 logo and USB logo on the packaging. Besides being speakers, it has no MP3 functionality. And although they can be half-powered by USB, they are not USB speakers as no audio signal is transferred by USB. Strike three.

I'll give credit to 7-11 for giving me a no-fuss refund.

Sorry for being long winded but I saw someone auctioning them for $120. Buyer beware.

WTF did u expect for 30 bucks dude?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You bought them for the pretty logo. So what did you expect?

I think you should write a letter of complaint to the South China Morning Post and the US Chamber of Commerce. Please reproduce them here.

plus the fact that a coke in 7 11 costs about 7.5 each while in the supermarkets it is about more or less 5 bucks each...

Thanks for the sarcasm. Stupid me, I forgot this was the internet.

But regardless of the price you'd expect something of merchantable quality. From wikipedia:
    ---
    To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are. For example, a fruit that looks and smells good but has hidden defects would violate the implied warranty of merchantability if its quality does not meet the standards for such fruit "as passes ordinarily in the trade".
    ---

I didn't expect them to be great, but at least to work.

Know your consumer rights and don't accept the "what did you expect for $XX" bullshit argument.

I can see where you're coming from. In all honesty, contact coca cola and see if you can get hold of the local brand manager or marketing person. Knowing the sticks these people carry around in the bums about "brand identity" (unfortunately in HK it means get the Pantone correct), you'd think they would do some QC before the released promo items out.

Cost is irrelevant to the issue.

I can see where you're coming from. In all honesty, contact coca cola and see if you can get hold of the local brand manager or marketing person. Knowing the sticks these people carry around in the bums about "brand identity" (unfortunately in HK it means get the Pantone correct), you'd think they would do some QC before the released promo items out.

Cost is irrelevant to the issue.

you wanna see a gigantic cola cola dvd combi " home cinema" shaped as a large can (88cm height) reviewed in an hk electronic mag, total bollocks for HK$8,800, but apparently sound like it costed HK$100 to manufacture and the rest is marketing and licencing