B&Q closing...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Does anyone know when it is closing? Just told OH and he wants to buy some things "just in case".
    I walked by B&Q today - there is no closing sign/date/sale

Middle of next year judging by the article in the SCMP.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Walk around that area of Kowloon Bay on a Sunday and it's disturbingly quiet for an area in HK!
    Well, it is an industrial estate after all.

I noticed a "Clearance Sale" sign today. Everything is 20% off at the moment.

Is the item not famous by the locals. Amean how come its closing down. Or, their marketing just not right as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by apple&dog
    Is the item not famous by the locals. Amean how come its closing down. Or, their marketing just not right as planned.
    Your attempt at haiku?
    I just don't understand it.
    Maybe it's just me.

Haiku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by apple&dog
    How many local people do you think go around fixing their own stuff at home, most of them dont even know how to change a flat tyre . If re-decorating is needed at home they will get contracters to do it and those people will definitely NOT use B&Q to buy materials and hardware.

I am a teenager & I still don't know how to fix homes.

But, I know how to serve people and make them happy at home.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    How many local people do you think go around fixing their own stuff at home, most of them dont even know how to change a flat tyre . If re-decorating is needed at home they will get contracters to do it and those people will definitely NOT use B&Q to buy materials and hardware.
    And those people who do can go to the same places the contractors do in Mongkok, Wan Chai etc. or just the neighbourhood hardware store. There's nothing special about B&Q.

Megabox is such an epic failure to begin with. First of all, they opened WAY too soon. When I started going there, there were only a few stores open, and the cinema. The vertical layout is a stupid idea for a mall - you end up spending a lot of time either waiting for elevators, or going up and down escalators, missing much of what the mall may have to offer. The shuttle isn't too bad - usually you don't have to wait very long for the next bus, and the walk is okay too, 9 months a year. Not a very pleasant walk, but doable. But as someone said, the 3 most important aspects of retail are location, location, location. Megabox may be a 'landmark' to see from the Island, or a destination for China tourists, but it will always be a complete failure for anyone trying to make money.

But B&Q was destined to fail in Hong Kong. People here just aren't into DIY renovations. It's much more desirable to spend their time off shopping, eating, or shopping. Most people will just hire a "Five Gold" worker to do (usually crappy) work for them at a low cost, while they can go try out the massage chairs at Osim and stand in line at Pizza Hut for 3 hours before gawking at the new phones at Broadway for a while and then trying out the massage chairs at Oto.

That, and when you do want to do something on your own, it is much cheaper to head to hardware stores in SSP, or construction stores in MK to get what you need.

Or even cheaper - bring stuff down from China. A gallon of paint costs about $300-400 at B&Q.. I bought a 5 gallon bucket in China for $100

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast