Prescription glasses and hairdresser

Closed Thread

Prescription glasses and hairdresser

Hi folks we have just joined this site as we are heading up there for a few days next month. We would like to know if it is cheaper to bring along a prescription for eye glasses and get them made up in HK than having them done in OZ. Also the wife would like to know if anyone can recommend a good hairdresser in Kowloon. She would like a colour and cut and (she needs to be blonde to explain some of the things that she says). What sort of prices are we looking at for this?

Hi Seastar,

Not sure about the glasses but I can help with hairdresser info.

Trying to find a hairdresser in HK to do blonde highlights is a dicey game, with often terrible results! Most salons will also charge a lot more than what I used to pay a good hairdresser back in Aus.

I don't know any really good hairdressers Kowloon side for blonde locks, however my hairdresser in Causeway Bay is fabulous.
    Cairey Wong
    Ph: +852 9171 0461

Cairey is a freelance stylist who works at HairT3D on Materson St in Causeway Bay.

Cairey only cuts hair, but the team of colourists in the salon are well practiced with blonde hair. I've never had a bad colour from there. I can honestly state that Cairey gives the best cut I've ever come across, he really is quite pedantic. He's also very cheap, I pay $860 HKD for a full head of highlights, cut, wash, scalp massage and blowdry.
    Your wife will need to allow 2-3 hours though, as they tend to use hundreds of foils, and aren't exactly speedy.

Thanks for your help Kim. Can you tell us the best way to get from the Airport to Kowloon?

To get from aiport to Kowloon, you can catch a taxi (around HK$225), the A21 airport bus (HK$33) or the airport express train to Kowloon station (HK$90) followed by free shuttle bus.

Airport Express Train is by far the simplest method. Clean, fast, reliable and relatively cheap.

Jeans and Jackets

Thanks again Kim. One more question where would be the best place to buy quality jeans and leather jackets.

Hi Seastar,

In all honesty, I wait until I'm in Europe, US or Aus to buy jeans and jackets. The western sizes just aren't so prevalent here.

Cheers,

Kim