Prices in Shenzhen??

Closed Thread

Prices in Shenzhen??

Can anyone tell me what you should pay or what you have paid for an A+ grade, average size leather handbag in Shenzhen??

Thanks

About 20% of what they start asking for and not a Kwai more. If that.

Oh - edited to add it is absolutely vital when you hear the absolute final price to walk off and have the sales person to run after you. This is worth at least 10% additional discount.

Best to not be a gweiloh. Get a local to argue on your behalf - they do it so much better.

Last edited by Load Toad; 27-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.

is 600 RMB too much?

kimberley01

I am HK local, may I confirm where you buy the bag ( I mean in Shezhen)?. As Load Toad mentioned, bargaining is a must, but i am rather greedy than Load Toad. 50% discount is possible. It depends on who you are bargaining with and what attitude you use. If your friend is chinese and barginal tone is good, you may get the goods 50% off.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCheung:
    kimberley01

I am HK local, may I confirm where you buy the bag ( I mean in Shezhen)?. As Load Toad mentioned, bargaining is a must, but i am rather greedy than Load Toad. 50% discount is possible. It depends on who you are bargaining with and what attitude you use. If your friend is chinese and barginal tone is good, you may get the goods 50% off.
    Load Toad said 20% of the starting price, which in Canto is "8 Jit" or an 80% discount! I doubt you'd get that much of a discount though, unless they gave you an insane gweilo starting price...

Perhaps you are right, we have asked several shop and their prices were the same. Maybe they also marked up the price.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Load Toad said 20% of the starting price, which in Canto is "8 Jit" or an 80% discount! I doubt you'd get that much of a discount though, unless they gave you an insane gweilo starting price...
    Hi Jayinhongkong, I've been learning Cantonese but I'm really confused at this 8 Jit thing...I understand that Load Toad's 20% of(not off) the starting price is equal to 80% off in English, but I thought my Canto teacher said 80% off is the same as saying 2 Jit in Cantonese, that is, 1-80%=20% then just say 2 Jit without the 10(sap). Can you please help clarify this? Thanks!

you are right OZTOHK, Jay mixed it up ;-)

To OZTOHK

Quote Originally Posted by OZTOHK:
    Hi Jayinhongkong, I've been learning Cantonese but I'm really confused at this 8 Jit thing...I understand that Load Toad's 20% of(not off) the starting price is equal to 80% off in English, but I thought my Canto teacher said 80% off is the same as saying 2 Jit in Cantonese, that is, 1-80%=20% then just say 2 Jit without the 10(sap). Can you please help clarify this? Thanks!
    Well, it is really confusion even HK local. Jayinhongkong's meaning is also correct in HK local tone. Your teacher is right and JayinHongKong is also right. It is a kind of HK culture. For example, 8 jit taxi, means taxi driver receive 80% of the original price. In english, it is more clear than in cantonese. For me, sometimes I will look at the writing in English^^. I hope it can u more understand about cantonese culture.