Shopping for bribes or stocked as a bribe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

He works in China, so he probably gets offered them at business dinners on a regular basis...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    He works in China, so he probably gets offered them at business dinners on a regular basis...
    Or maybe he is a sailor...

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

It appears that Mr Moo has not gone to the carparks of these poor estates and checked the number of high end jalopies lolling around.
    When your housing costs are a pittance and you only use it as a dormitory, just what are you supposed with your money?

I know a local family -husband wife grown up son daughter and her husband living in a two bedroom 350 sq foot flat. All work and they have two home ownership flats in the boondocks which appear to be rented out.
    They never entertain at home and the flat is theirs, so with an income approaching a hundred thousand just what are they supposed to spend the loot on, but expensive status bestowing geegaws.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    It appears that Mr Moo has not gone to the carparks of these poor estates and checked the number of high end jalopies lolling around.
    Amoy is a lot of council apartments, open air restaurants, where Starbucks and Haagen Dazs are considered too expensive so they have bubble tea and yoghurt-icecream shops, everything is a lot cheaper there.

As I said if it was about disposable income there would be more high end retail shops for women. Amoy has two floors of a hundred or so tiny boutiques to attract the pocket money of students attending the evening study classes offered there.

A lot of people keep living in their cheap public housing and spend their hard earned on the other trappings of wealth. I think you are reading way too much into this. You don't put 'brand' shops in public housing areas do you? That's not what branding is about - and people that want to buy 'brands' want to be seen doing it in the flash malls in town.

Last edited by Load Toad; 27-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.

i think the $8000 in cash in a brown envelope would be more attractive than an $8000 melon...

why would anyone think you can bribe someone with a melon?!?! diamonds, contracts, even protsitutes... but melons?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    i think the $8000 in cash in a brown envelope would be more attractive than an $8000 melon...

why would anyone think you can bribe someone with a melon?!?! diamonds, contracts, even protsitutes... but melons?!?!
    Money is too obvious, drink and food are popular forms of bribery in China. For instance at Mid-Autumn Festival expensive moon cakes and alcohol are sent to many a government official to ensure exports get out of customs on time.

And in the UK at Christmas it is normal to give your clients a bottle of whiskey. Or maybe when you have clients in town and you take them for a meal, drinks or some 'other' entertainment. Are not they too 'bribes'.
    It is a bribe when it is paid specifically to guarantee an outcome.

Otherwise - it's normal business.

After the event - it's commission.

Last edited by Load Toad; 29-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Hands up anyone who has not been taken out for lunch of a large plate of even larger steamed tiger prawns and warmed maotai, by a grateful supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Hands up anyone who has not been taken out for lunch of a large plate of even larger steamed tiger prawns and warmed maotai, by a grateful supplier?
    \o/

I don't have a supplier... except the Chemist!

Although... I did get my suit jacket adjusted and the guy offered to buy me a can of beer as a gift, so I would go back there for another suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast