Price Match / Bargaining at large stores?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Price Match / Bargaining at large stores?

Yo,

I am looking for an audio interface (lets you record music to a computer) but whats important is the price difference.

at Tom Lee what i want to buy is roughly 400 US.
    at Amazon US it costs 220 US... with shipping maybe 250 at most.

Do HK stores in general, or in this case, Tom Lee Music, have price match policies? If i bring in that information will they change the price?

Anyone have experience on this issue *not necessarily what im trying to buy, just in general*

thanks!

You're hoping that they will match the price in the US even though they have had to pay to ship it over? Hmmm.

Some will match prices in other HK stores.

Quote Originally Posted by pacowc3:

at Tom Lee what i want to buy is roughly 400 US.
    at Amazon US it costs 220 US... with shipping maybe 250 at most.

Do HK stores in general, or in this case, Tom Lee Music, have price match policies? If i bring in that information will they change the price?

!
    Price matching locally I can understand. But price matching to an online store based in the US? You must be joking.

If you can get it that much cheaper from the US, just order it to be shipped. Though Amazon generally doesn't ship electronics outside of the US.
    Last edited by jgl; 27-08-2009 at 11:53 PM.

well i'm not expecting they match the US price exactly, but I would imagine that getting somewhere with 400HK of that price would be reasonable.

as it is, it is about 200 US (~1600 HK) more expensive, I figure its a pretty big gap. I would gladly pay shipping and still get a way better deal.... just id rather pick it up on the same day if possible.

Amazon doesn't ship electronics outside the US???

Quote Originally Posted by pacowc3:
    I would gladly pay shipping and still get a way better deal.... just id rather pick it up on the same day if possible.
    I'm missing something here. How is US$470 (220+250 shipping) a "way better deal" than US$400?

sorry im using hk and us dollars without specifying... i meant 220 us and 30 us shipping or 250 hk.... not 250 us. obviously that would be a terrible deal

yeah i tried to buy it and wtf they wont ship to hk i guess case closed in regards to shipping that one.....

does bargaining in stores work though?

Checking Amazon's prices does give you a good base price, but this only serves to make sure you're not getting ripped off at HK stores.
    Regarding the other posts, aren't most electronics made in China? So shouldn't the prices in HK be cheaper than the US prices?

Your best bet is to call around and get an estimate, that way you can get an idea of the average price in HK for your audio interface. Then you can go to places like Golden Center, Fortress, etc. and price compare.
    Bargaining in stores works occasionally, never hurts to try, but it helps your cause if you buy more than one item.

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    Regarding the other posts, aren't most electronics made in China? So shouldn't the prices in HK be cheaper than the US prices?
    Country of origin has very little to do with the ultimate price of most goods, especially for retail goods for which transport generally constitutes only a small part of the overall cost function. More important factors are how demand and supply are organized and in Hong Kong there is a retail cartel that keeps prices high for many goods.
    Last edited by beachball; 28-08-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Country of origin has very little to do with the ultimate price of most goods, especially for retail goods for which transport generally constitutes only a small part of the overall cost function. More important factors are how demand and supply are organized and in Hong Kong there is a retail cartel that keeps prices high for many goods.
    Lol @ retail cartel. Does describe how shops in HK are run though. In my experience, most items sold in HK are either cheaper or the same price than their US counterparts(even if it is the exact same item from the same brand). The only exceptions I've seen are if the item is a specialty item that's hard to find.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast