Where will i find a mosquito net?

Closed Thread

Where will i find a mosquito net?

Hi all, been here nearly two weeks - i'm an exchange student for a year at HKU. Love the place but am being absolutely mauled by mosquitos while i sleep! Last night I had a plug in repeller, 'Jungle Strength' repellent from the UK, AND my roomates stuff from the mainland. Despite all three of these, i was bitten three times last night, making more than 20 bites in two weeks. They ruddy love me it seems!

Anyway, so the last resort is to get a mossie net to sleep in. The only one I have found so far is in Ikea, but its a round one with a big open slit down one side. I'd prefer a 'tent' shaped one (triangle at either end, long straight bit in between at the top), preferably with a zip to get in and out. Has anybody seen these for sale? Im in Central, but willing to travel as far as it takes, i've got another 40 odd weeks, which will mean a lot of bites if i cant find a solution!

cheers

Go to Pricerite and buy a Nobleland 8 Watt UV bug killer . model number KT306W(N). Cost 75 bucks. Its 12" tall and circular. Black colour.
    Put in in the bedroom and run it 24/ 7 with the door SHUT. It will kill em all in a couple of days if not sooner. In the mean time buy a can of OFF from any supermarket and lightly spray exposed skin areas before turning in.

After you have " cleaned " your room, keep the door shut and use the lamp in the main room.

I saw one in Ikea last Sunday. I had no clue what it was and that was the answer - mosquito net. It was in the CWB store hear the beds I think. Didn't look to see the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Go to Pricerite and buy a Nobleland 8 Watt UV bug killer . model number KT306W(N). Cost 75 bucks. Its 12" tall and circular. Black colour.
    Put in in the bedroom and run it 24/ 7 with the door SHUT. It will kill em all in a couple of days if not sooner. In the mean time buy a can of OFF from any supermarket and lightly spray exposed skin areas before turning in.

After you have " cleaned " your room, keep the door shut and use the lamp in the main room.
    I should have mentioned, ive tried 'off' for the last couple of nights after a couple of people at uni recommended it, alas to no effect and still been bitten.

The bug zapper is a good idea, but two things: mosquitoes are (apparently) attracted by CO2 emitted from humans, so may still come near me, and secondly, the zappers work best for bugs that are attracted to lights, im not sure if mosquitoes are? We have to pay for the aircon in our dorm room by the hour, so we have the doors open during the day until we use the aircon at night, so i'd prefer something that is 100% guaranteed to keep mossies away from me, even if they are in the room.

I've got a addresses for a couple of outdoor shops in Kowloon, will give them a try tomorrow.

cheers

I don't mind if you don't take advice but you will soon find the shortcoming of mosquito nets.

UV lights work well for mosquitoes FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    I don't mind if you don't take advice but you will soon find the shortcoming of mosquito nets.

UV lights work well for mosquitoes FYI.
    Could you expand on that? (genuine question). I think I will put up with the hassle of it if it means I am 100% safe from being bitten - apart from the hassle is there any other shortcomings im missing?

I'll go for the UV light if i cant find a net/it doesnt work too well.

cheers

Close external doors and windows at dusk. Buy one of those mosquito electrifying 'tennis' bats, real cheap and much more fun.