Like Tree3Likes

Raw Honey

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Non-organic honey is made out of tin and clay.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For honey to be considered organic in New Zealand, for example, it has to meet strict criteria: documentation of and consultation with every land user within a five kilometre radius of the organic hives to ensure that they remain free of chemical residue; regular analysis and testing of honey samples by the New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture; and prevention of hives being fed with non-organic honey, sugar or antibiotics.

The Honey Bee used to be a great little late-night pub in TST...

I've also walked past that bee farm in Sha Tin. Let us know what the honey is like, mariac.

Load toad--if you could make honey from tin and clay, it would still be organic.

Claire ex-ax--I get the non-chemical thing since most chemicals that would be used would not be organic, but sugar? Unless sugar is ruled out for some chemical additive reason.

Load toad--if you could make honey from tin and clay, it would still be organic.
    Shirley tin is metal and ceramic is inorganic, non-metallic?

Strangely enough I make money out of both but I reckon my customers will be surprised if I class either as organic.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Shirley tin is metal and ceramic is inorganic, non-metallic?

Strangely enough I make money out of both but I reckon my customers will be surprised if I class either as organic.
    True. I was thinking of organic as simply not man-made. Steel is not organic, but coal is organic.
    Yet another weird definition for organic, I know.

Further adding to why local raw honey is popular with some....

Honey has an immunising effect on the human body, releasing small amounts of allergens into your system when consumed, via the various pollens the local bees collected which have been exposed to the HK local atmosphere. Meaning that somebody that may not have suffered hay fever/allergies in their homeland, may be affected here in HK. Local RAW honey is a great way to be exposed to these allergens, so that one can build up new antibodies, boosting ones, compromised immune system.

Honey in general does have a lot of interesting properties, great for surface burns, it's anti bacterial properties and skin healing properties. Something the Egyptians figured out/documented 1000's of years ago.

But for newly acquired geographically triggered allergy sufferers, local honey being consumed, should help.

Last edited by Skyhook; 04-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Hi Guys,

Since all of you were so helpful to me when I asked about raw honey in HK, I was wondering if you any of you could provide any insight on domestic helper rates. As you know, I'm new to HK. I am just now going through the process of recruiting a domestic helper. Usually their asking rates are $60/hr but I hear that some people are able to negotiate a monthly rate with them. I am wondering what the standard norm of negotiation is, whether it is common to do this or what. E.g. if I need the helper 9 hrs/week at $60/hr that should come out to $2100/month. How much can/should I negotiate on top of that? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

And also, regarding helper monthly rates - I am assuming that if I negotiate a monthly salary with someone versus an hourly rate, I'll still have to pay that monthly rate even if I don't need her services for a few days due to such things as traveling, etc., correct?

You might want to put this in a different thread. Most people looking at this thread will be thinking of "raw honey" and not "DH hourly rates".
    You are limiting your universe of responses.
    But, on the DH, we pay hourly and didn't really try to negotiate off the $60.