Like Tree4Likes

Cheapest way to subscribe the Economist journal in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Um, given that my country of nationality is identified in my name, it is difficult to understand how the fact that I am not a POM managed to escape your eagle-sharp eyes.
    you are an honorary member, along with Boris.

Drunk? Mmm...not me pal. I'm more likely to be out running 10k every evening than drinking.
    Try stretching that out a bit and give the forum more time to relax.

But I'm not gay, although I certainly wouldn't be ashamed of it if I were.
    But other gays would be.

Opening up an old thread.

I note there is now an Idevice app for the Economist.

If you claim to be based in HK, its charged at US$150 (c. HK$1,167) a year. If you claim to be based in the UK its pounds 99 (c. HK$1,215) and if you claim to be in the US its US$110 (c. HK$858). For the UK and US options I think you need to choose your billing address in either the UK or US, otherwise it won't work.

Penguin has also mentioned its available on Zinio for US$120 (c. HK$936) a year as well.

Wonder how good the delivery on Zinio differs from the actual Ipad app.

I however find it quite cheeky of the Economist to offer the online only version at pretty much the same price as their print version.....

Original Post Deleted
    Yep, that's correct, but the thing is I only want the online version, don't need the print version.

Anyway I think I may take up an offer in the UK to see how things go, basically its 1 pound for 12 editions. Will get it sent to my parents address in the UK, so they can read it, and I'll get it online. Will see how it goes for 12 weeks and if I'm liking it I may see what offers are on in the UK for the print version, so at least my folks can carry on reading it.

I just walk into the local library,though I really,really like the Economist

i would wait on ALL magazine purchases (if you have an ipad) until early next year.
    the subscription services are coming soon to Apple devices, and there is talks of "The Daily" which will kick it off.

we will probably see better pricing for alot of these companies, and better delivery im hoping.

Original Post Deleted
    who said it wasnt?
    Pin already said its on idevices several posts above you.

I said i would wait...as Apple is going to release subscription plans for magazines, starting with their pub first (The Daily). and others will have access to same subscription model once it starts. Right now there is only IAP models....no subscriptions. so i think many of these magazines and news apps will update their pricing models very soon.

Original Post Deleted
    but currently their only pricing model (im guessing) is like all the orther mags: free download of app, then IAP for each magazine at a few bucks a pop. And it will give you an "alert" when a new mag is ready to buy & download.

with the subscription plan, it would work like a podcast. you will autodownload anytime there is updates, and you are auto-billed by the service like a normal magazine subscription.

this will mean that in addition to offering the standard IAP of each mag, they will most likey make new offers for 1 year or 2 year subscriptions, at a discounted rate.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4