How good is stuff at the jade market??

Closed Thread

How good is stuff at the jade market??

Hi again!
    i have heard about the jade market and that a string of jade there is as low as HK 25$......so was wondering how good the quality would be?????
    anybody has any idea...is it a good idea to buy them as a gift for someone????

Many things sold at the Jade market are not real jade. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

i have heard of another place...sheung wan(sorry if therez a spellin mistake there!!)......is it better to pick at the jade market or sheungwan??
    thanks!

Ive been to the jade market - its good fun. I have no idea if it is real jade or not and if the person you are buying doesnt know either - then a perfect present. Word of warning - prices increase by 50% if you have a white face. Ask them the price - if they say HK$100, then offer HK$30 (70% off) - you should agree at about HK$40. They were still smiling so I still paid over the price but I was happy too. A good tactic is to say too expensive and start to walk away because the next stall will have exactly the same stuff and you can start bartering there. They normally chase after you and agree to your price.

There are some stalls which say they are authentic and the prices reflect that - but you need to know what you are looking for.

Have fun

thanks!

thanks sazzy...shall certainly try..and hope the people i am gifting it to wont know whatz real either!!

please tell me where is jade market?/

Take Yau Ma Tei MTR station (Tsuen Wan line) and look at the maps/exit signs in the station for walking directions. The market is under a sort of overpass and is just northwest of Temple Street Night Market.

jade market directions..

Yau ma tei...exit C...
    and once u come out of it...keep walkin on the right till about 5 blocks and look for the sign...
    i think it is probably the 4th or 5th right...(at the corner of some big jewellery mart)
    good luck shoppin!!
    i think the market is open from 11ish to some 4 in the weekdays and till 2.30 during the weekends...safe to be there by 1 is what i've decided!!