Ready-made Puff Pastry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Ready-made Puff Pastry

Yes, I know it's a cheat but I'm doing so much baking over the next week or so...

Specifically, I am looking for puff pastry made with butter, not the stuff made with hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Great used to sell a brand from the UK (black box) but I didn't see it last time I was there.

Thanks.

Why re-invent the wheel!! I always use ready-made puff pastry. I buy it from our local ParknShop, but not sure what the brand is called. I'll have a look when I go there in a little while and let you know.

Most of the stuff sold in HK is Jus-Rol. Won't use that because of the hydrogenated vegetable oil. And pastry needs butter. And puff pastry needs as much butter as flour.

Please let me know whether your PnS sells the 'real' stuff.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 17-12-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Call off the massive hunt! Great will have the Dorset butter puff pastry in by the weekend!

Yes, you were right, the PnS stuff is not the good stuff. Thanks for the tip on where to get it. Will go and get some at Great this weekend.
    Cheerio!

Will go and get some at Great this weekend.
    Not before I stock up I hope!

Grrrr!

I was told on the phone by a chap at Great that the Dorset puff pastry would be the store by the weekend. When I get there, no sign of the item. I ask about it and was told that Great hasn't had it in in some time and won't be selling it again. Grrrrrrrrr!

As I had promised my OH a lovely beef wellington over Christmas, I ended up having to make a batch of it yesterday. Roll, turn, roll, turn, etc., etc., etc. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Obviously it's too late for this year but if anyone sees decent (non-HVO) frozen puff pastry in Hong Kong, I would appreciate a heads up.

I suppose you can get Pillsbury at CS, 360 etc

Pillsbury Puff Pastry is made by folding together alternating layers of our specially formulated dough and margarine.
    Why would I buy that? Actually, I have to ask why would anyone buy that? It's the same as the Jus-rol, Pampas, etc. rubbish.

I found some puff pasty in the frozen section of Citysuper in the ifc yesterday. They also had filo pastry in both chilled and frozen.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast