Videogames in HK

Closed Thread

Videogames in HK

Hi folks,

Just moved here and was looking at picking up a PSP and/or a DS, and I have a few questions, so if you know the answers, please say so!

1. Will a PSP?DS play Japanese games, or is HK considered a different region?
    2. If not, where can I get a PSP/DS modded to play foreign games around here?
    3. Do the screens only play NTSC, or is it possible to play PAL games on them too (once modded)?
    4. Is it possible to change language settings on both the consoles and the agmes bought for them? (presuming I buy big-name games like Mario Kart etc.)

Okay, these are a lot of questions, but hey I need to know, and would be very grateful for any info people have.

1. Doubt it would play japanese games if you buy it here unchipped..

2. 298 hennesy road, wanchai

3. No idea, tho i reckon would play both

4. again no idea...

i dont even own one sry cant be much help, but to point you to 298.. or another place is 388 but cant remember the road name, but it runs parallel to hennesy in the opposite direction of the harbour (ie. south)

Answers are for PSP only:

1. Will a PSP play Japanese games, or is HK considered a different region?
    Games are not region-coded so any PSP can play any game.

2. If not, where can I get a PSP modded to play foreign games around here?
    See 1 above.

3. Do the screens only play NTSC, or is it possible to play PAL games on them too (once modded)?
    See 1 above.

4. Is it possible to change language settings on both the consoles and the agmes bought for them? (presuming I buy big-name games like Mario Kart etc.)
    The PSP is multi-lingual in that the PSP menus, navigation etc can be changed in one go. Games are a little like the PS and PS2 where you have to guess the options if you were playing a Japanese-only game.

UMD movies are region-coded so you need to be careful there.

DS is 100% region-free - any game from anywhere will run.

As for language, that will depend on the game - most of the Japanese ones only have Japanese support, I think, so you'd be looking at living without being able to read the text, or getting the EU/US versions of games.

And for what it's worth, I'd recommend Golden Comp. Centre in Sham Shui Po rather than 288 - it feels a lot less seedy to me. Not that you can't get dodgy stuff, but there's less really dodgy stuff around, and the place is a little less of a dive.

Just contact me if you want to buy a PSP with heaps of games...i'm selling one!

you can get the black psp modded to play copy games...but not the white model....