Like Tree1Likes

Mosquito netting for hats

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mosquito netting for hats

Is it possible to buy mosquito netting in HK that is not attached to a bed/stroller, nor meant to hang from the ceiling?
    Just looking for a piece maybe 2 metres by 1/2 metre. We will attach it to hats to ward of the dreaded black flies of the Outback.
    Unless those flies are seasonal or something?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Sleuth, how about just buying a mosquito headnet?

http://www.yp.com.hk/outdoormart/
    And click on "Survival & Protective".

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 11-03-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Sleuth likes this.

I know you asked about HK specifically, If you're lazy you can order online, but it'll cost you shipping from overseas.

Mesh for Clothing, Bags, Screening and more!

Seattlefabrics is a good outfit- they've got all sorts of nerdy haberdashery gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Sleuth, how about just buying a mosquito headnet?

http://www.yp.com.hk/outdoormart/
    And click on "Survival & Protective".
    An even better idea.

Post a pic, eh?

Don't laugh at him... if he's really going to the Outback those hats are essential!

Oh I'm not laughing. As someone who is a magnet for mozzies I know first-hand just how invaluable these headnets are. I just thought it would be nice to see Sleuth wearing it against the swarms with a double thumbs up.

Hang on, surely if you're going into the Outback a hat with dangly corks would let you blend in better with the natives.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Hang on, surely if you're going into the Outback a hat with dangly corks would let you blend in better with the natives.
    Yes, but I figured it would be easier to buy the netting then the dangling corks. Had I planned in advance, I could have saved a bunch from the wine and made them ourselves. Plus the netting can come in handy in other places, whereas the corks really aren't; Maine, if you go during balck fly season comes to mind but not much else. Alaska?
    But we have been warned by both vacationers and natives about black flies in the Outback. First the natives start to downplay them, then we tell them where we will be (Ayer's Rock) and the tune changes. Evidentially really bad out there.

OK ... my Ayres Rock fly story .....

We went a number of years ago. We had a hire car, and as you enter the park you have to wind down the window and pay at the booth. The lady at the booth had her window shut and basically told us to give her exact money ... we both wound down the windows at exactly the same time and practically threw the money/tickets at each other so we could wind back up the windows .... still got about 20 flies in the car....

So we drive on abit, and decide to change drivers. I kid you not ... the MINUTE you step out of the car, you are COVERED in flies ... like, a layer of flies, so we ran around the car to get to the other side, and I slipped and fell and hurt my leg ... so we never even climbed Uluru because of the bad leg!!!

Actually, the local tribes prefer if people don't climb it anyway, so we were happy to respect their beliefs. We did hike in the Standley Chasm near Alice Springs - Mr Movingin07 was wearing a white T-shirt and I have a (pre digital so cannot post) photo of his back, where you can barely see the T-shirt!

The flies are incredible. It's an experience. The netting is essential. The corks are useless and no real Aussies use them!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast