• 2 Post By chilicheese
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By Loz_2

Non Stick cookingware

Closed Thread

Non Stick cookingware

Hi All,

I need to buy good cookingware for my kitchen and have seen various brands like Tefal, Silex, Perforal etc ( few are Korea made and others Italy and France) in Ikea, Pricerite etc but not sure on quality.

Any suggestions on which one to buy and from where ?

I am really concerned that the Black coating should not come out while cooking or washing.

Also is the plain black coating better than the marble black coating ?

Thanks in advance

sogo sld bave a decent range

also wing on in sheung wan / central- their cooking ware department is quite big

newgirl likes this.

Non-stick cookware is bad for your health (the coating transfers into your food when you cook at higher temperatures), and regardless of how gentle you are, the coating ALWAYS rubs off when you wash it or use a spatula.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone to use non-stick cookware, but you can still find all types of cookware at:
    -Sincere in Dragon Centre (Sham Shui Po), Wing on in Hung Hom, or the small cookware shops in a plaza in Shatin (the one with the Ikea inside).

newgirl and Woodpecker like this.

Thanks ppl for your reply. I am able to find stores where I can find non stick cooking ware, my problem is which brand to buy as each shop displays 3-4 brands.

Someone says Korean made is better, but someone prefers italian/french.

Anyone personally using some non stick pans and finding its quality great ?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you are going to buy non-stick pans, buy those which are multi-coated and are smooth to the touch - single coated pans are rougher to the touch. The top of the range ones have seven coats. But even the highest quality ones will still begin to lose its coating even if you are careful with it.

Alternatively, a well-seasoned cast iron pan will serve you for years and years without any harmful effects.

newgirl likes this.

I have a tefal frying pan that has stood the test of time and seems to work well - but I NEVER use any metallic cookware on it, only the silicon spatulas etc.

newgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    Non-stick cookware is bad for your health (the coating transfers into your food when you cook at higher temperatures), and regardless of how gentle you are, the coating ALWAYS rubs off when you wash it or use a spatula.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone to use non-stick cookware, but you can still find all types of cookware at:
    -Sincere in Dragon Centre (Sham Shui Po), Wing on in Hung Hom, or the small cookware shops in a plaza in Shatin (the one with the Ikea inside).
    Have the relevant regulatory bodies in the US and EU indicated that the health risks are sufficiently high that they might ban teflon coated cookware entirely?
    Scraped off bits of teflon will reduce the non-stick properties but wont kill you per se if ingested, its the chemical reaction of teflon compound at or above 260 degrees that may result in the harmful stuff arising so i understand.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by Loz_2; 15-03-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    newgirl likes this.

Message on my visitor page:
    Thanks for replying. I saw Tefal brand , beige colored pans, in Pricerite. That was made in France.

I hope you are referring to those only.

Can you tell if Pricerite is the right place to buy them or I can buy them any cheaper from any other place ?

Also is using wooden spatula fine with them ?

Thanks so much for your response. Appreciate them !

Response (as I have no idea how to respond to a visitor message!):

Yes I think Tefal is a french brand. They have been going for as long as I have been cooking (which is decades) so I guess they must be doing something right. I have always found Pricerite to be price competitive (better than Sogo or Wing On anyway!) so probably a perfectly good place to buy. Yes, wooden spatula is fine.