Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 2 Post By chris_in_hk
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Borax powder?

Borax powder?

Anyone know where I can find Borax powder (white powder used in cleaning, and in more sophisticated form in jewellery soldering) in Hong Kong? I need it for a mad scientist party for my son - to make slime and putty. A chemist sold me Boric Acid as Borax but they're different (former apparently used in insecticide formulas) and it does not work! Help. Am pretty desperate and geoexpat, you have not yet let me down!!

Gateway in Sheung Wan has it I believe.

sarasmile likes this.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Do you know if it's sold as Borax or has another brand name? You're a star....

Not sure of the brand, but you should find it in the laundry products section. You could try calling them on 2545 0338 to confirm, although I have no idea how helpful they are on the phone.

sarasmile likes this.

The last time I was there, which was several months back, they were selling it as Borax. It's towards the back and along the right hand side wall as you're going in. Green box I believe and around eye level or slightly higher height.

PDLM and sarasmile like this.

Wow. Thanks for that description! Heading out tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Kids looking forward to making putty. Since am on subject, any idea where can get PVA - Polyvinyl Alcohol - a water soluble synthetic polymer which is not the PVA glue which is what I thought it was -- apparently the glue is Polyvinyl Acetate. I need it to make real ickky slime. Goodness, this science party preparation is teaching me a thing or two!!

Found it! You are both absolute stars. Thank you so much for your help. A very happy Sara

You're welcome Sara. Was eyeing the Borax to kill some ants.

Your request for where to get PVA - Polyvinyl Alcohol is somewhat harder. Hopefully someone can help.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For the PVA, try sending off an email to this place: [email protected]