Faulty goods rapair cost?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Faulty goods rapair cost?

Hi all!
    I bought a pair of quite expensive shoes in a brand store in HK in January. After one use (for 5 hours) a small but functionally important part of one of the shoes broke - the glue holding the part in place came off.

I went to a shoe guy in central/LKF, who told me that he can't glue, it must be stitched. So I went to the store and showed them. They took the shoe and have just called to tell me that it’s ready and I’ll have to pay for repair. Is it true? The shoe was faulty at that point, so how come I’m paying for the “factory” mistake? I’m shocked! What to do? Anyone had same experience?

Well did they say how much its going to cost and did you ask them?

Did you have a receipt for the pair of shoes?

You bought these shoes 3 months ago, wore them once, and they broke?

Maybe this is what happened, but it'd be a bit much to expect the store to buy this explanation- 3 months is a bit long of a time to go back with a complaint.

What to do? I'd just say suck it up and use it as a learning experience to test your purchases within a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited by jgl; 16-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Jimbo: I have the receipt, yes, I didn't ask them how much the repair gonna cost, I thought for a pair of such expensive shoes it's not a problem. Can I argue with them?

Jgl: Hard to buy the explanation? Well, the shoes have 11 cm heel and don't look like the office shoes to work in, they are party shoes and aren't worn every day. That's why I only wore them once since the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by solus:
    Jimbo: I have the receipt, yes, I didn't ask them how much the repair gonna cost, I thought for a pair of such expensive shoes it's not a problem. Can I argue with them?
    OK when taking them back did they say in any way shape or form that you will be charged for the repair? Or did they come back to you later and say you will be charged?

You could argue but it depends on what was agreed with the store.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    OK when taking them back did they say in any way shape or form that you will be charged for the repair? Or did they come back to you later and say you will be charged?

You could argue but it depends on what was agreed with the store.
    When I came to them, the girl asked me: did you go to groom? I said no, but to other shoe guys, but no luck. Then she said ok, so I though: Ah, maybe they'll take it to groom. The girl took my name and number to call me 2 days later. When she called she said: we took it to groom and you'll need to pay.

From my experience, no retailer will do repair without your consent especially it involves repair charges. This is a rare case.

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    From my experience, no retailer will do repair without your consent especially it involves repair charges. This is a rare case.
    They had my consent for repair, not the charge. So you mean I could argue they didn't inform me about the cost?

Seems to me the shoes are not fit for purpose, and should be repaired or replaced at the retailers expense. I can't find anything about a Hong Kong version of the UK "Sale of Goods" act but I would hope (!) something similar exists here.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    You bought these shoes 3 months ago, wore them once, and they broke?

Maybe this is what happened, but it'd be a bit much to expect the store to buy this explanation- 3 months is a bit long of a time to go back with a complaint.

What to do? I'd just say suck it up and use it as a learning experience to test your purchases within a reasonable timeframe.
    Shoes breaking inside the first three months is plainly not acceptable, even if they were worn every single day. My advice to you is to not "suck it up" and not be such a pansy.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast