Like Tree3Likes

Where to a buy a smoke alarm/detector?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1) I went to Wing On too. No LUCK!

The salesman said that individuals in Hong Kong do not buy them. Retailers rarely sell them. He said that new buildings all were required to install them so that they were bought by real estate developers in great commercial quantities.... Does anyone know if this true?

2) I will try B and Q.... Is this in Megabox? It seems like a long haul, but may be worth the trip. Has anyone bought one at Megabox recently.

Even if the explanation in 1) is true, there are lots and lots of old buildings in Hong Kong. My guess is that the people who burn lots of paper for the buddhas in their stairwell are not rreally that safety conscious. Which is why every once in a while, lots of people die in an old building fire in Kowloon or somewhere else.

I see lots of claims that constrcution materials in Hong Kong are less flammable than in other parts of the world. Could this possibly be true?

In any case, I live in an old building in mid-levels so my search for a good smoke detector continues....

any help would be appreciated....

best. chiming123

PS I thought of another explanation. It is because these people are burning so much paper money to the buddhist gods that they know they will be protected by these gods from dying in a fire..... so they definitely do not need to buy a smoke detector....... Ironically enough, they are actually very insecure and safety conscious and insecure (which is why they feel the need to hedge their bets by burning paper offerings to the gods).... burning paper in a stairwell so that the gods will protect you is just a thousand year old tradition of fire protection (before the invention of smoke detectors).

I think B&Q has gone now.

did you try the Wanchai store yet?

http://www.fire.hk

Just a bump - any recommendations for where to get a smoke/CO detector in HK? Thanks!

I bought ours from Amazon US recently. Easier than looking for it in HK and then figuring out whether the model is any good or not etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ebayhtl:
    Just a bump - any recommendations for where to get a smoke/CO detector in HK? Thanks!
    Yes, Fire.HK which has been recommended at least twice on this very thread still has detectors. Try Googling them.
    Last edited by jgl; 10-11-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Yes, Fire.HK which has been recommended at least twice on this very thread still has detectors.
    Its website is down. Is the building too?

The site is still up, it's just the specific link that Rani provided to a sub-page has changed sometime in the last four years. fire.hk is still working.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Thanks jgl. Still had an old bookmark myself, plus there's an awful load of construction going on around those streets.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 10-11-2014 at 05:52 PM.

I was there a couple months back and they were operating as per usual. I think their tiny little street is unaffected by construction but can't recall exactly.