Like Tree10Likes

weighing machine!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    I havent checked my wait since months now (out of fear), but for sure i am 75kilo+
    i would love to go to gym, but these days dont have spare cash to spend on gym, cannot pay lumpsum for a year's contract
    physical gym is only at HK$200ish per month, 6 months contract is also available, even the government public gym is at HK$180 per month, very affordable.

i believe heavy sessions of snacking can add to one's weight, i tried a great way ( for me anyway), don't buy any snacks expect low calorie ice lollies (not ice cream, ice lollies at 73cal to 105cal per lolly), when you feel peckish, eat an ice lolly, but the second and third ice lolly, you will get either brain freeze or sick of the ice lolly and stop! (law of diminishing returns), also buy/drink diet coke or water instead of soft drinks.

maybe suppliment dried fruit as alternative to cakes/biscuits and crisps/chips.

mercury_element likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i believe heavy sessions of snacking can add to one's weight, i tried a great way ( for me anyway), don't buy any snacks expect low calorie ice lollies (not ice cream, ice lollies at 73cal to 105cal per lolly), when you feel peckish, eat an ice lolly, but the second and third ice lolly, you will get either brain freeze or sick of the ice lolly and stop! (law of diminishing returns), also buy/drink diet coke or water instead of soft drinks.

maybe suppliment dried fruit as alternative to cakes/biscuits and crisps/chips.
    I have stopped buying any such thing, no icecreams, no chocolates, no ice lollies, no coke, no chips, nothing of this sort. Lunch is only fruits. and light dinner. If I really have the craving, i just eat a biscuit or something light.
    Hopefully all this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    also buy/drink diet coke or water instead of soft drinks.
    I really wouldn't recommend Coke in any of its forms. Tea is the drink of champions.

Just eating fruit is not going to help you lose weight. You just end up craving normal food. You should eat a sensible diet of small regular meal with plenty of fruit and veg, but also protein and some carbohydrates. Something that you are capable of sticking to forever, not a short term "diet" which is completely counter-productive. (The body reacts to percieved 'starvation' by lowering the metabolic rate, making you sluggish and unhappy and preventing the diet from working).

A mixture of sensible diet and plenty of exercise is best to keep both body and mind healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    A mixture of sensible diet and plenty of exercise is best to keep both body and mind healthy.
    Exercise is definitely a great mood booster – you can end up with a virtuous circle. You feel good because of the endorphins released from exercise, exercise makes you lose weight, you feel good because you look better – Ad infinitum

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Exercise is definitely a great mood booster – you can end up with a virtuous circle. You feel good because of the endorphins released from exercise, exercise makes you lose weight, you feel good because you look better – Ad infinitum
    LoL - if it really was ad infinitum you'd eventually disappear!

LoL - if it really was ad infinitum you'd eventually disappear!
    Ha ha, ok, ok

how about

Exercise is definitely a great mood booster – you can end up with a virtuous circle. You feel good because of the endorphins released from exercise, exercise makes you burn calories, you feel good because you look better – Ad infinitum

Just eating fruit is not going to help you lose weight. You just end up craving normal food. You should eat a sensible diet of small regular meal with plenty of fruit and veg, but also protein and some carbohydrates. Something that you are capable of sticking to forever, not a short term "diet" which is completely counter-productive. (The body reacts to percieved 'starvation' by lowering the metabolic rate, making you sluggish and unhappy and preventing the diet from working).

only fruits are for lunch. I do eat breakfast and light dinner. this is just to control my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    only fruits are for lunch. I do eat breakfast and light dinner. this is just to control my diet.
    Good on ya for deciding to get on top of this weight-health thing.

Others have said it all already but I'd like to add - what, again, isn't terribly 'new', eh - that cutting out ALL fats from your daily food intake ain't the answer.

We need some of the 'good' fats in the form of fatty acids like the omega-3s (EPA, DHA), mainly found in oily fish, and other omegas: walnuts, and so on. I love fish, especially salmon, tuna, and mackerel (canned, smoked, or otherwise when fresh is pricey). I also take up to 1g of fish oil (capsules) a day.

And, oh... exercise, of course.

Think of the joints, 'well oiled', quick, with least effort - moving on the get go. It gets easier, the more you're on ya feet. (Er, am forgetting the limitations due to the outside heat and humidity of HK )

Wish all the best

P.S. Re weighing machines - OTO has a digital one, I think, but I don't advise, nor bother myself, using such devices. It can be 'a start', but NOT the main thing... Like others have said, don't get misled or over-preoccupied with slight changes every coupla days.
    Last edited by emmie; 05-05-2010 at 05:40 PM.