Where to buy wedding kua?

Closed Thread

Question Where to buy wedding kua?

Hello all!

Does anyone know where I can get wedding stuff in HongKong here? Specifically, my friends tell me I should be able to get beautiful handmade kuas here. Kua is a traditional chinese, embroidered bright red gown. It's not really figure hugging at all. Does anyone know where to get this?

Thanks and regards,
    Bing

The best place and stores to get beautiful handmade kuas in Shanghai street, Yau Ma Dei. They are almost sold in there.

another alternative is Golden Plaza, 747-745 Nathan Road, Mongkok.
    many shops selling wedding stuff in tere

Thanks for the reply! I managed to check out the few shops today. The places at Golden Plaza and Shanghai Street were mostly very conventional, very traditional kuas. But I'll keep on looking...

hi! I was just wondering how much does a traditional kwa cost? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BabySmurf:
    YEah when I was in HK recently, I went there and was amazed how a whole shopping mall is for wedding things.

Also good tailor in there for fitted penguin suit for guys, 2nd floor at top of escalator. Picked up waistcoat, trousers, jacket, shirt all for about 1400 HK

try these 2 places

1. in Central right by bottom of Lan Kwai Fong next to Kosmos. The name of the shop is called something Phoenix. Not cheap but very nice stuff in there; well-tailored and a speedy service.

2. In Central by Lyndhurst Terrace and the market; Cochrane Street. Right opposite where Starbucks now stands there is a small keipo shop. Been there years and meant to be good too.

Some shops in Golden Plaza was bad and even local residents would not rent any attire from them.

I'm heard that this shop is good. http://www.koonnamwah.com.hk/qungua.html
    On this webpage, the pictures show kua for the couple (PHoto A-I), some pajamas (Photo O)and even kua/traditional clothes for parents of the couple (Photo K-M), etc. Kua in Photo A is the most luxuary one.

I've heard that kua could cost HK$3xxx for even more. If yo rent it, it could range from $500 to $2000, depending on the pattern on the kua and whether it's new.

There's a tip to wear kua. The bride needed to wear a medium/short-sleeve pajama (upper part) underneath the kua. It's more comfortable for her to wear it. In Chinese tradition, people would not wear the whole set of kua before the wedding day/banquet. They would wear either part of it in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySmurf:
    i live in the united states and would like to get a listing of the wedding favors shops in the golden plaza so i can call and make an order for wedding favors. can someone direct me to a web link or provide a couple of phone numbers? thanks!