Mexican Food!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Kowloon West / America's Finest City (San Diego, CA)

thanx for the link dress, I went to El Taco Loco this weekend in SOHO, it was ok, not bad for HK. It didn't have that Cali taste to it but it was close enough

If you want Cali food go to a Californian restaurant. If you want Mexican food go to a Mexican restaurant.

Not bad for HK? Shan't bother as Shri will close the thread!

Of course, you could also find most ingredients for making the stuff yourself at Olivers, Great, City Super, etc - although admittedly, eating out is a lot more fun!

Currently New Jersey -- soon Hong Kong. Looking at several different areas.

I sympathize!

I've tried a few of the places listed here and they are all ok (about as good as places in NYC!), but can't really compare to those in California (I'm a Cal native too!) or AZ or NM! However, when having a real craving they taste pretty good.

I like to make mexican at home too but have not found a lot of ingredients. Especially real corn tortillas (GREAT has some made by Old El Paso but they actually are made in Switzerland and have a bunch of stuff in them e.g. baking powder -- not the real thing of stone ground corn and trace of lime). I'd make my own but can't find masa harina! Also, can't find a good selection of dried chilis -- Anaheim, Passilla, Ancho, etc. Anybody know where to get this stuff?

What about importing it? Are there restrictions?

Thanks!

Here is the guide when it comes to finding Mexican food in Hong Kong:

Mexican themed restaurants:
    AGAVA (Tequila Y Comida), Lan Kwai Fong
    AGAVA (Tequila Y Comida), Wanchai
    Caramba (www.caramba.com.hk), Mid-level escelator (SOHO)
    Coyote Bar and Grill (www.coyotebarandgrill.com)
    El Taco Loco (www.diningconcepts.com.hk), Mid-level escelator (SOHO)
    Que Pasa Tequila Bar & Cantina, Observatory Court, TST

Restaurants with Mexican cuisine:
    New York Cafe (Recommended), Quasadillas, Burritos, Nachos; Yuen Long
    TGI Fridays, Quasadillas, Fahitas; TST
    Ruby Tuesday (www.rubytuesday.com.hk), Quasadillas, Fahitas; Shatin/Taikoo Shing/Kowloon
    And various other places in SoHo. The "Chivas" bar on Elgin Street serves vegetarian burritos for example.

The only place I have ever found Horchata in Hong Kong, is at the Mongolian Barbacue in TST as part of their "summer drink" specials.

The best grocery stores to find mexican food is at City Super in Causeway Bay (the one in TST will disapoint you). Also, there is a really good grocery store in the basement of the Lee Gardens (Causeway Bay) that has a good selection, including Taco sauce and various imported cheeses. The Wellcome located at Gold Coast Plaza (Tuen Mun) has colby/jack cheese, torillas, refried beans, taco shells, and a couple different bottles of Tequila/Margarita mix. At Tung Chung (Lantau), at TASTE, you can find mexican style cheese, guacamole, salsa/taco sauce, tortillas, refried beans and various peppers/spices.

If I have missed any, please, let me know!

Amigo's - Sai Kung (nr the 7-11, just opposite public car park)

I am mexican and I can honestly tell you that the ONLY authentic mexican restaurant is Agave in Wanchai, the head chef is mexican, and they import all of their ingredients from mexico... (even the flour, limes, EVERYTHING) and for those of you asking about horchata you can get it there as well, as well as tamarindo, jamaica, etc. The rest of the mex restaruants are un edable for a mexican... and it is a sin to even consider them ANYTHING except for cheep texmex...

Hi ashtonwinkler, does Agave do a weekday set lunch?

Muchas gracias for all the info! Very helpful indeed. I love cooking mexican and I'll be certain to give the Agave in Wanchai a try!

Do they not share the same ingredients and menus as the Agave in LKF?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast