Frozen Food in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Frozen Food in Hong Kong

In Europe I alwyas bought plenty of frozen vegetables, pizzas, fishes etc., like many other people I relied heavily on frozen foods there. But here I can't, I simply can't....
    Yesterday evening for example I went to a big Park n Shop store in Aberdeen... I really thought about buying some decent frozen fish - obviously coming from Britain.
    But when taking out a box from the freezer I could hardly believe what I felt - it was hardly frozen any more, the box was really squishy....
    And it was no isolated case - all fish packs were like this... disgusting!!
    Also the fish sticks I was intended to buy: The stame story.... and the same incidence occured a few weeks ago when I was willing to buy frozen pizza..... but to consider that pizza as frozen is simply not possible.

When having BBQ, we always buy some garlic bread from Park n Shop. It is supposed to be frozen, but never really is. Since it is just bread, I don't care too much... but what about all the other sensitive goods???

Honestly said, I have not seen many freezer trucks in Hong Kong, maybe the fleet is rather small and many frozen goods are transported in "normal" cooling trucks???
    Or is it simply the crappy technical equipment within some park n shops that makes frozen goods to be unfrozen when buying them?!

why u dont buy frozen food from Great in Pacific Place, decent forzen food in there. Or Citysuper in Times Square Causeway Bay. The stuff from there are much better than Parkn Shop.

Never get that problem in wellcome.

I fancied a pie last night so went to my nearest supermarket - Wellcome and would you believe it no pies!

DaveD, I encountered the same thing at the Aberdeen Park N Shop store. Frozen french fries were simply soggy! This is not the case at Baggio Villa though. I had good frozen stuff there.

Most of the frozen food I have bought here, from City Super or other places, always has freezer burn. Yuck...

Same story here - bought some supposedly frozen sirloin steaks from PnS. When selecting, some had fallen down the side of the freezer and were almost completely defrosted. Even the ones we found that seemed frozen, when defrosted a few weeks later, had clearly suffered freezer burn.

Seems to be best to buy fresh - have found the Canadian steaks at PnS much better than the Aus or NZ ones. Also some of the fish (e.g. huge prawns - yabbies?) has been superb. Still not found any tender chicken tho....

I agree about the frozen food problem in the Aberdeen Park n Shop. The Ice Cream is always OK but maybe the companies who sell to them, transport it directly? Not sure.

Im lost

Why dont you just go tut yocal market and buy fresh meat, fresh fish, seafood that were alive and kicking only a few moments earlier and fresh vegs???

Hong Kong is a great place to shop for fresh food if you know where to go ...and to be honest it aint too hard.

Or does frozen products taste better?

In terms of pizza...just make your own!

.........Just my thoughts

GT1

Fresh fish

Quote Originally Posted by gt1:
    Im lost
    Why dont you just go tut yocal market and buy fresh meat, fresh fish, seafood that were alive and kicking only a few moments earlier and fresh vegs???
    In terms of pizza...just make your own!
    I will admit to having only read the books because we aren't moving for a few more months, but the guide books warn you away from fresh fish. China isn't known for sparkling clean water. I guess the deep ocean fish would be okay, but I have seen people fishing Victoria Harbor.
    Make your own pizza is a great idea. We do it at home all the time. Easy, quick (maybe 30 minutes) and you always have the toppings you want. Need an oven, though, and I understand those can be rare.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast