leaving HK without a passport

Closed Thread

Exclamation leaving HK without a passport

hi,

say you have a newly issued british UK naturalisation certificate & you needed to fly as soon as, would it be a must that you must have a passport in order to fly, or would you be able to fly with that certificate with extra ID such as HKID / driving licence?.
    or would it just be a matter of waiting for like an emergency passport?.
    someone mentioned you can travel with that kind of certificate in an emergency if required.

just a thought. lol.
    thanks.

Last edited by m4nn; 15-09-2010 at 05:05 AM.

A naturalisation certificate is not a travel document.

The problem is not leaving HK - you can do that on an ID card alone. The problem will be arriving in the next country! I have certainly entered the UK without a passport before but that was back in the days before 9-11 and all the tightened security .... and I'm British (the guy on the desk too one look at me and said "you look pretty British to me" and let me through as I rummaged through my bag trying to find my 'lost' passport .... which turned out to be in the only pocket I had not looked in when I finally recovered from jet-lag enough to try again a few days later!).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The problem is not leaving HK - you can do that on an ID card alone. The problem will be arriving in the next country! I have certainly entered the UK without a passport before but that was back in the days before 9-11 and all the tightened security .... and I'm British (the guy on the desk too one look at me and said "you look pretty British to me" and let me through as I rummaged through my bag trying to find my 'lost' passport .... which turned out to be in the only pocket I had not looked in when I finally recovered from jet-lag enough to try again a few days later!).
    The Check in staff at the airport won't need a passport to check you in? The security at the entrance to the security screening won't need to see your passport and boarding card? and when you line up to get on the plane you won't need a passport/boarding card?

I think the problem IS leaving HK.

Online checkin. Security will accept an ID card. Not sure about boarding ......

Boarding will require a passport if you online check-in.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    The Check in staff at the airport won't need a passport to check you in? The security at the entrance to the security screening won't need to see your passport and boarding card? and when you line up to get on the plane you won't need a passport/boarding card?

I think the problem IS leaving HK.
    My experience is that passengers are required to produce their travel document(s) and boarding pass upon departure in HK airport's departure hall. Once verified, you'll need to pass through security check and then immigration counter or e-channel.