Like Tree2Likes

Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

So you had a pet passport then? Obviously not.

The "bat" argument is a wildly flung yet flawed argument. Something like 9 dead bats have ever tested positive for rabies out of several thousand found dead. And that is a strain. You can look at figures elsewhere, blah, blah. It's a non-argument.

You broke the law, rules which whether you like them or not have made the place a rabies free zone and you wanna justify it. So back to first sentence. You had a pet passport, right?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Actually, I wasn't suggesting anything, just empathising and telling a story. As someone who has been through this I, in a way, belong to the huge community of pet owners who have been victims of Britain's archaic quarantine policy which is even now recognised by most MPs to be innefective and unfair...! Didn't really expect to be called names and cause such a fuss. There are even people who will smuggle your pet for a fee, this is happening every day accross the channel!
    Who called you names? Certainly not me or M07.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    So you had a pet passport then? Obviously not.

The "bat" argument is a wildly flung yet flawed argument. Something like 9 dead bats have ever tested positive for rabies out of several thousand found dead. And that is a strain. You can look at figures elsewhere, blah, blah. It's a non-argument.

You broke the law, rules which whether you like them or not have made the place a rabies free zone and you wanna justify it. So back to first sentence. You had a pet passport, right?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well if you say it's a non argument, errrm, blah blah, then I guess I must salute you as the victor in this joust sir. So, your problem is that I broke a law......what actually is your problem?

So you had a pet passport, right? Not that hard to answer - the longest answer is only 3 letters.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    So you had a pet passport, right? Not that hard to answer - the longest answer is only 3 letters.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Jaykay, are you tapping your foot impatiently when you ask that?

Bryant, the title of your first post is "Bypass quarantine". If you were just empathising and telling a story that is a strange title to use. Sounds very much like an answer / suggestion to me. Given you are using the surname English maybe you know something about the grammar of that language - the structure you have used is called a direct command.

Actually I don't think you were really suggesting this as a solution, you were just showing off about how clever you are and thus above the law. I guess you think it only applies to the little people who are not bright enough to break the law themselves or find someone to pay to break it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    Bryant, the title of your first post is "Bypass quarantine". If you were just empathising and telling a story that is a strange title to use. Sounds very much like an answer / suggestion to me. Given you are using the surname English maybe you know something about the grammar of that language - the structure you have used is called a direct command.

Actually I don't think you were really suggesting this as a solution, you were just showing off about how clever you are and thus above the law. I guess you think it only applies to the little people who are not bright enough to break the law themselves or find someone to pay to break it for them.
    Look, when I initially posted there was only Cielo123s post so what I said was a response to him/her. Everything else is in response to the usual responses from the usual suspects who have nothing better to do than trawl through Geoexpat spouting opinions on topics they clearly know nothing or very little about.....as usual and always the same half a dozen people...

Am I reading this right?
    Is the OP saying that they cannot take their dog from Hong Kong to the UK without quarantine? Not even under the PETS scheme?
    The 'Pet passport' scheme is meant for transporting pets within the EU only as far as I am aware......who was it that told you this?

Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - Pet Travel Scheme - Long Haul Countries eligible for pets

If so then it looks like I'm settled here for the next 10+ years

Last edited by London2HK; 24-10-2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: adding info

Even if your dog has his rabies vaccines up to date, you will still need to get his blood tested for the vaccine, they send the blood to an approved laboratory in the UK for this and from the date of the blood test, you then have to wait 6 months before you can fly him back him without quarantine (plus lots of other boxes you need to tick such as getting health certificates etc).

It all has to be in a very specific order i.e. microchip > Rabies Vaccine > blood test > etc and they expect the blood test to be about a month after the vaccine.

Read everything here and talk to them directly. It is actually quite straight forward and they are very helpful on the phone and actually know what they are on about most importantly.

Pet Travel Scheme helpline
    Telephone: +44 (0)870 241 1710
    Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm UK time (closed Bank Holidays).
    Email: [email protected]

Last edited by London2HK; 24-10-2010 at 01:36 AM.

we have had many dogs stay with us during a portion of the quarantine period instead of relocating to the new country at the same time as the owner.the dog/s remain in hk with us and then serve the final 1 month-ish in the new country's quarantine. i'm not sure if this holds true with the UK, but you could ask your pet relocation company. (i'm not in hk at the moment, so i can't confirm if the UK is one of the countries that this holds true for...although, i seem to remember that we have recently had dogs in the same situation staying with us.)