Possibly leaving HK for Oz, what should I know

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i had this trip where we had to bring a little pillow my 6mth old needed for his sound sleep.
    it was intercepted and destroyed because the pillow had 'bean shell' fillings which didn't pass the quarantine gate (or however gate u call it, which isn't the custom gate)

8-) so things do get stopped.. other stuffs like milk powder etc.. as long as they are in can when brought in and reputable brands they were ok.

Tax

This was the experience of an Aussie expat that returned to OZ from HK in 2002 but I mention it as it is worth checking to make sure it doesn't affect you.

Once you land in Oz and start working, they will tax you on your income for that entire financial/tax year in Aus. So if you have a large salary+bonus in HK which is within the same tax year as your first tax year in Oz, you may be asked to pay Aussie tax on that HK income.

I spent some time on the tax issue (given top rates are 45% + 1.5% medicare +1% flood tax). From what I could find out, is that if you are a "temporary" resident (457 visa holder) rather than a permanent resident, your offshore earnings are tax free.

My hubby was a 'temporary resident' for a coupld of years in Oz as he was working on a sponsored work permit, and he still had to pay tax. If your earnings are off shore, I'd advise you to check with the tax office as changes do occur. Medicare - if you are a citizen of an affiliated country ( Scandinavian countries are covered as well as some European) , then in the case of medical assistance, then you can claim back part of your bill, like the Aussies can. Watch out on bringing in anything plant or animal material, even if it is a frame or dried bead jewellry. There are hefty fines and even though I hold an Aussie passport, the border security still scrutinise you like you're carrying every type of drug up your bum. Even the smell of an apple ( this happened to me years back) will have the beagles humping your leg to get to your bag. Speaking of...quarantine from HK - if your pet has been in HK for at least 4 months, then it is only 1 mth quarantine in Australia. just keep some savings aside to buy a car. The public transport is not as widespread as it here here.

If you are there temporarily you should be able to get away with taxation only on Australian income, not worldwide income (which is a huge saving). Over 180 days in the year is one threshold test. Oh and don't forget the impact of the GST which raises the price of everything!

If you are living and working in city centres (eg Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth) you shouldn't need a car (you can hire them pretty cheap for weekends away) and parking can be expensive. Living in the 'burbs or anywhere else, I agree, you'd need one.

On the moving front, I just met up with some old friends who have just relocated to Oz. What happened to them was that two wooden items got picked up and needed heat treating.

On top of this their inept packing company managed to also pack up some redecoration rubbish, some firewood and of all things, coal, all of which got through with no trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile28:
    On the moving front, I just met up with some old friends who have just relocated to Oz. What happened to them was that two wooden items got picked up and needed heat treating.

On top of this their inept packing company managed to also pack up some redecoration rubbish, some firewood and of all things, coal, all of which got through with no trouble.
    Hi Exile28 - can you pls give me the name of the "inept packing company" so we don't use them please? Any good company you might suggest?