Like Tree3Likes

Relocating HK to San Francisco area

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relocating HK to San Francisco area

After 7 fine years of living in Asia, we must return to the States. We are Michigan people who are being relocated to the San Francisco Bay area with a 16 year old daughter. Looking for advice on schools, areas to live, etc. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

HK to SF

Hi there,

Nice to see another Michigander on here. Just wanted to say hi. I was born and raised in GR and then moved to the Metro Detroit area in 2004 and then to HK in 2010.

What I do know of SF is that it is a fabulous city that I truly enjoyed visiting. I have a good friend that lives in Menlo Park and has for about 15 years. I think you will find some good schools in the general area and of course, the housing market is nothing compared to Michigan so I would say, be prepared.

All the best,
    Amy

Big difference in San Francisco proper vs. the Bay Area in general.

If schools are your first priority, then I'd drop San Francisco down the list and move up some of the 'burbs on the Peninsula and the East Bay. That's not to say there aren't some fine high schools in SFO, just a very limited number of slots at the very best ones (i.e. Lowell H.S.).

Where you work should also be a big consideration for where you live. Public transit is Okay by U.S. standards but not nearly as extensive, reliable, pleasant or safe as HK - and it's trending down.

If you are thinking about buying a place in SFO, I'd recommend you read this real estate blog regularly to get a lay of the land and a finger on the pulse of the market.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM. I lived in San Francisco more than a decade before moving here.

Hope You're applying for permanent residency though.
    Better to have it and not need it etc.

On a related note, does it count if a PR comes for holiday before the 3 years is up, or does the PR need to prove residence in HK?

Holiday is fine. You need to visit HK nice every three years.

I lived in the San Francisco area for about 15 years and it is a beautiful place to live. the quality of life is awesome and there is something for everyone. Huja is absolutely correct about the schools. They can be a nightmare in SF. You may have a very smart child who will end up in a lousy school due to the limited amount of slots in the really good schools. Are you working in SF or another area outside of SF ? SF and surrounding areas have many beautiful places to live and where you choose will depend on your budget. Let me know if you need any help. Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Hi Amy. Thanks so much for the post. Funny, I grew up just north of GR! We have been in HK for 4 years after 3 great ones in Tokyo. I have only visited SF once many years ago and only for a day. We will be working with a relo company so should get some good info. I've been looking at the housing market and know what is coming. Thanks you for the Menlo Park info. I will definitely check into it.

I have heard those things about the SF schools. I was certainly thinking more along the line of the surrounding areas. My husband is in consulting and his two largest clients are based in SF (city) and San Ramone. I was leaning toward the East Bay for more sun, warmer temps, etc. but just concerned about there being no diversity as our daughter has been in international schools in Tokyo and Hong Kong for the past 7 years.

San Ramon is a very nice upscale area. I lived in Berkeley and there was plenty of diversity but I would not recommend Berkeley since it was such an extreme city politically. Walnut Creek is nice but a bit sterile. There are some really beautiful areas in Oakland as well. Some of the nicer areas of Oakland, especially in the Hills have easy access to the City and the East Bay as well.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast