Like Tree19Likes

Shipping a car from HK to Aus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

On the basis of what you’ve said so far, as a rough guide, we have a 1year old BMW X1 and will be moving to Brisbane in the coming months. Is it worth taking the car or are we better off selling and rebuying? Seems a to seek such a new and good car!

Quote Originally Posted by ollie.mulcock:
    On the basis of what you’ve said so far, as a rough guide, we have a 1year old BMW X1 and will be moving to Brisbane in the coming months. Is it worth taking the car or are we better off selling and rebuying? Seems a to seek such a new and good car!

If you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time, say 10 years or longer, then o.k, te fact that the car is a private import from Hong Kong, probably wont make all that much difference on resale value. BMW, like all European cars in Australia, tend to have poor resale value, more so for a private non Aus delivered/spec vehicle.

If you plan to sell the car a lot sooner, then, I would definitely reconsider and just sell the car in Hong Kong before you move and start a fresh in Brisbane, with something new.....This would make a lot more sense and create a lot less hassle for you.

Many thanks for all the advice here.

After discussions with the contacts provided in this thread ultimately for me it was not economical to transport my 6 year old car back to Oz.

shri and Skyhook like this.

Hi guys, came across this thread while researching shipping my 2003 Mini back to Melb later this year. Contacted Prestige Motorsport before but sadly they no longer ship cars from HK Tried googling other other shippers but so far seems like a dead end

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Well that should be tediously straight forward enough via your Aus passport, personal import requirements ie ( under PIS requirements ) .

So you have the 1.8T version of this car below ?
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...2).)&offset=12

I'd get a quote from these guys ( below ) for all that is required and see how you go. It might be just simpler to sell your car in Hong Kong and just buy something else in Australia. The Turbo Diesel version of the A4 for that year is definitely more popular in Australia, the 1.8T not so much, so it might be sensible to weigh up all the costs involved if its worth shipping the car here.

Contact these guys
    https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/fa...m-any-country/

Good luck

Sorry to revive a dead thread AGAIN.

I am going to move to Melbourne next year so I am looking to do the same.

The car is a 2013 Jaguar XJL 5.0 supercharged. I have looked at carsales dot com and I know the market price in Australia would be more expensive than what I paid for.

But I would like to know after all the shipping and duty and GST, if the car would still be worth shipping? How would I be able to know if customs would use their customs value or use my purchased price to tax me?

Hopefully Skyhook would come across this post.
    timozvino likes this.

Checked with Prestige Motorsports. They no longer ship from HK. Looked up another company called Personal Import Australia n quoted A$12k to ship my 2003 Mini. I guess if the relocation company can do the shipping part any of these car import companies will be happy to help with the quarantine and compliance part.

tam_Jeffrey likes this.

I’m in the same boat as u Jeffrey, thinking to ship my car to Melb late this year.

The import companies will arrange valuation for you and the 5% duty will be based on that value. GST is based on value of car + all the cost of shipping it to Oz

Quote Originally Posted by timozvino:
    I’m in the same boat as u Jeffrey, thinking to ship my car to Melb late this year.

The import companies will arrange valuation for you and the 5% duty will be based on that value. GST is based on value of car + all the cost of shipping it to Oz
    Good to know someone else is in the same boat!

I think I may go that way and find an import company to get a more accurate estimation first.

But at the end of the day I would like to go through all the hassle and do all the paperwork by myself to save some handling fee.

Turned out not many companies are doing 1-stop shop service. Either only doing shipping or paperworks.....
    still looking for one...

Try vanpac they occasionally ship vehicle from hk

tam_Jeffrey likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast