Like Tree3Likes

Taking our helper back to UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking our helper back to UK

Hi

We may be moving back to the UK from HK later this year. I believe it may be possible to take our helper with us as she has worked for us for over a year. I have 2 questions on this:

- do you know how long the visa application is likely to take
    - are DH's usually paid the minimum UK wage, even if they have food & accommodation provided? (this would be many multiples of the DH wage in HK )

thanks

Thanks very much - gives clear info on the visa application process but doesn't go into any details re: whether minimum wage applies - if anyone has any experience of this please let me know

Migrant domestic workers (as they are called in the UK) are legally entitled to the minimum wage (5.52 per hour). However, you are allowed a daily reduction of 3.75 from their salary if you provide accomodation. You are not allowed to make deductions for providing food. So legally you will have to pay around 11K per year.

By the way, your helper will not need a work permit but will need a visa.

Read more here:
    Kalayaan - Justice for migrant domestic workers

Foreign domestic helpers can work as such in UK, but only for a limited time and then have to leave the UK for a minimum time.
    Better check the website of the UK Border Agency of the Home office.

Visa Application in HK for UK takes about 1 week.
    Application for Residence Card in UK after entering UK takes about 6 months, during wich time no work is permitted, and the applicant has to surrender the passport - the UKBA only works with ORIGINAL documents.

You're responding to a 3.5 year old post...?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    You're responding to a 3.5 year old post...?
    Did the same thing when I first joined Geo expat. I would have thought that old post should self destruct after a stipulated time.
    Ramdom and Pocahontas like this.

They do have a big red and yellow banner at the top of the page warning you that it's an old post and suggesting you might like to start a new thread...

On this forum time is usually not the deciding factor for deleting post. I like the 'self-destruct' idea - very video game-ish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast