Moving to Singapore from HK

Closed Thread

Moving to Singapore from HK

Hi All,

Really could use some advice as Huz is seriously considering taking up a job in Singapore.

However, we are unsure of how much he should ask for as we don't know how much living costs would total. Would 100HKD per month be enough for rent, travel, food, utilities, international school and entertainment (movies, little shopping now and then...)?

We are a family of three, 1 child who's in primary school. A two bedroom apartment would suffice as I wouldn't work.

And most importantly, what are some affordable international schools?? I've searched for days and can't find a a source which has a list of schools' fees. I have to go to each school's website individually.

Thank you in advance!!

Since more or less the entire school system in Singapore is in English, why would you want fee-paying schools?

I guess you mean 100K HK$, but I'm curious why you would need more bedrooms if you were to work...

Thanks for your reply.

-Int'l school because we prefer it.
    -More bedrooms if I work because we'd hire a helper

So what do you mean by "international school" in this context?

Hi Earlyyears

SIN living costs are roughly similar to HK, housing still a bit cheaper but has caught up a lot over the last few years. Cars, Taxis and mobile phone more expensive than HK (car prices are crazy). Taxis getting quite hard to get these days, even when you call/sms.

Schools are definitely expensive (again, same as HK), need to calculate SGD 20-30,000 per year per kid. Slightly easier to get in than HK (I hear, we don't have kids), but also getting more competitive.

I guess with your budget you can definitely survive and live quite well (no car) but not much savings. But this will be the same for the identical salary in HK so you should judge the offer on non-monetary criteria I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

Hi
    Assuming you don't get a car,
    1) 2 BR near a train station should cost about SGD4500 (HKD 27,675) monthly.
    2) tax will be similar around HKD 8000 a month
    3) CPF (mandatory savings scheme aka MPF) will take away 5535
    4) utilities and water should be close to SGD300 (HKD1845) (no aircon)
    5) Food (each meal should be close to $8-10 per person if you eat at foodcourts or hawker ie non restaurants) = SGD2160 for 3 / HKD 13,284 (Cooking at home will cost more)
    6) Transport costs ($5 a day per person = $450 / HKD 2768 no taxi only train or bus)
    7) School fees at international school = SGD2000 a month (HKD 12,300)

total min expense HKD 71,407
    sounds doable. just have to be thrifty cos almost everything has a 7% Goods and Services Tax so it will be more expensive than HK.

We estimate that if we move back to Singapore, our living expenses will go up by 30% compared to HK. That should be a good guage.

Last edited by zergmei; 08-08-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zergmei:
    Hi
    3) CPF (mandatory savings scheme aka MPF) will take away 5535

bit of a late reply but people on working visas (EP) dont need to pay CPF, only PR's pay this.