Like Tree1Likes

International Moving Companies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

To prevent theft shouldn't be too difficult - make a detailed inventory with Excel for example and list the valuables, where applicable with serial numbers (say, for electronic equipment) and obviously you should check the shipment at the destination for completeness. Might take some effort but avoids any surprises later.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    To prevent theft shouldn't be too difficult - make a detailed inventory with Excel for example and list the valuables, where applicable with serial numbers (say, for electronic equipment) and obviously you should check the shipment at the destination for completeness. Might take some effort but avoids any surprises later.
    We have done that, and all items plus price paid are stored on excel spreadsheet. However, unfortunately, there is the rogue colleague that gives a company a bad name by stealing an item that they feel would be missed or of some value to the expat. My friends and I cannot fathom why, as the movers have a job to do, like it and if you dont , then work elsewhere.

I packed my stuff myself and a list was necessary for customs anyway. Nothing was opened by anyone on the way and the customs in the UK X-ray the boxes, instead of opening them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ling_Ling:
    I packed my stuff myself and a list was necessary for customs anyway. Nothing was opened by anyone on the way and the customs in the UK X-ray the boxes, instead of opening them.
    if you pack it yourself, it's declared PBO and very few insurance companies will cover on the basis that there is no professional to verify content and the packing not to standard of the packing/relocation company

There's total loss insurance.

I chose to pack it myself to make sure everything is safe. I wouldn't trust someone else, who could not care since those aren't their things. And now I'm reading people steal too? Even better :-/

I guess everyone must choose which option is best for them.

Are you sure you know how to pack properly? It is surprising how many people think they do. A lot of people seem to think bubble wrap is the way to go when a lot if the time it isnt. Remember you are paying for volume not weight when it comes to sea shipments and depending which country you ship to you would have to make your own liftvans which the average Joe wouldnt know how to do or which wood needs to be used as a lot of countries have strict rules on the type of treated wood. If you ise the wrong materials they can refuse clearance.
    Also do you know how to make crates for your TV and any valuable paintings? You dont simply wrap it in bubble wrap unless you have no respect what so ever for it.
    And no, i am not a person working for the removal industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ling_Ling:
    There's total loss insurance.

I chose to pack it myself to make sure everything is safe. I wouldn't trust someone else, who could not care since those aren't their things. And now I'm reading people steal too? Even better :-/

I guess everyone must choose which option is best for them.
    I work in the industry, total loss is only recommended for consignment of low monetary values. total loss only covers catastrophic losses, fire, sinking or any major consignment loss, if your consignment has a missing carton, transit damages, mold/mildew damages or electronic, electrical & mechanical derangement (electrical items damages with no apparent physical damage) then insurance would NOT compensate any!